• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED Feature Request: Add my own resources to a library

Status
Not open for further replies.

XanthorXIII

Instead of just allowing us to select Assets we have purchased or downloaded from the store, why not also let us store common stuff that we use day to day for scripts, images, objects, etc.... Right click on the item, tell it to store it in the Library, then wham, a copy is made. I go on to another game and look, I can import stuff I've already created easily from My Library.

MOD EDIT: Local Asset Packages can be used for this, available from the Marketplace menu in the IDE:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyomoto

We can't do that? I hadn't gotten around to trying but I figured that's what it was for. Even if we have to create an extension or something, there certainly has to be a way for us to utilize this feature locally or it seems largely useless.

MilesThatch

So basically you want a cloud storage of your resources and created game content so that you would load it from the library (which is basically YoYo's ftp-like cloud storage for marketplace files)

Well that will cost YoYo service fees wherever they rent servers from for their site and software distribution files or, if they host it themselves, then it's an additional storage machine they have to pay for. Either way it's a business desicion and not some small feature that only takes a block of code to implement. People start uploading audio and larger image files, that's a hog on their servers (ever tried downloading an update when YoYo is having a sale? yeah)

If you want the cloud storage for your resources so that you'd have access to them anywhere on any machine, it costs 9$ a month to get an unlimited storage hosting plan on godaddy..

N

NateTheGreat

But it wouldn't need to be stored in the cloud, would it? It could just read from a directory on your PC or something. Unless you're talking about accessing it from another PC.

MilesThatch

But it wouldn't need to be stored in the cloud, would it? It could just read from a directory on your PC or something. Unless you're talking about accessing it from another PC.
When you are adding something from the library, it is first downloaded from the YoYo's storage to your local drive. If it's a new project. It's re-downloaded even if you downloaded it before for a different project.

At this point if you already have the files downloaded in your project on the pc, it's pretty much trivial to have a library for those. Just drag and drop whatever files you had from one project into the new one (if you haven't followed YoYo on twitter, they showcased that you can simply drag and drop the resources from a folder directly into the ide, without having to click "add external resource" like you had in 1.4)

That is already a speedy solution, making any more additions is trivial at this point.

XanthorXIII

So basically you want a cloud storage of your resources and created game content so that you would load it from the library (which is basically YoYo's ftp-like cloud storage for marketplace files)

Well that will cost YoYo service fees wherever they rent servers from for their site and software distribution files or, if they host it themselves, then it's an additional storage machine they have to pay for. Either way it's a business desicion and not some small feature that only takes a block of code to implement. People start uploading audio and larger image files, that's a hog on their servers (ever tried downloading an update when YoYo is having a sale? yeah)

If you want the cloud storage for your resources so that you'd have access to them anywhere on any machine, it costs 9$ a month to get an unlimited storage hosting plan on godaddy..
Re-read what I wrote. You took what I wrote way out of context. I am only referring to local storage for My Library and for storing my assets.

MilesThatch

Re-read what I wrote. You took what I wrote way out of context. I am only referring to local storage for My Library and for storing my assets.
I know what you mean. For local storage, open the project folder and drag-and-drop your desired assets straight into the new project in gms2. You basically asking for a glorified iTunes for game assets that's going to shave off 15 seconds of your time.

Last edited:

XanthorXIII

I know what you mean. For local storage, open the project folder and drag-and-drop your desired assets straight into the new project in gms2. You basically asking for a glorified iTunes for game assets that's going to shave off 15 seconds of your time.
I am not asking for a glorified ITunes. What I am asking for is personal use of something called My Library for storing My Assets. If it's there why not just put that functionality in? Why are you evening arguing against this? I think its a good idea and everyone can benefit from this. If I write a script that I would like to use in other projects, why not make it so I can right click on it and select add to My Library. Then I go and start another project, I need to find a script I wrote that I can use in this game, find my script in my Library and click add to project. Makes GameMaker 2 even better for all.

MilesThatch

I am not asking for a glorified ITunes. What I am asking for is personal use of something called My Library for storing My Assets. If it's there why not just put that functionality in? Why are you evening arguing against this? I think its a good idea and everyone can benefit from this. If I write a script that I would like to use in other projects, why not make it so I can right click on it and select add to My Library. Then I go and start another project, I need to find a script I wrote that I can use in this game, find my script in my Library and click add to project. Makes GameMaker 2 even better for all.
Because there is no benefit to have. You already have a local library, it's called your Hard Drive. It won't be any more convenient and it won't shave off any time from your development. You can just drag and drop that script it into the new project from a folder which would take you the same amount of time.

Now if YoYo Made a networking resource storage allowing multiple IDEs on a network to work from the same project directory off a server with propagated updates across all instances of gms and without causing conflicts, now THAT would be a useful feature.

What you're asking is just a substitute to having files neatly stored on your drive.

Last edited:

XanthorXIII

Because there is no benefit to have. You already have a local library, it's called your Hard Drive. It won't be any more convenient and it won't shave off any time from your development. You can just drag and drop that script it into the new project from a folder which would take you the same amount of time.

Now if YoYo Made a networking resource storage allowing multiple IDEs on a network to work from the same project directory off a server with propagated updates across all instances of gms and without causing conflicts, now THAT would be a useful feature.

What you're asking is just a substitute to having files neatly stored on your drive.
So what your suggesting is that I go out to my Explorer, find where GM2 is storing my projects, open the project where I think the file is. Find that its not in that projects folder. Start going through my other projects to find what I need and waste a bunch of time searching for it.
Or in my system open My Library and find what I was looking for and add to my project.
What you want is for it to remain the same as it has in the past and any suggestions for new features is heresy. New tool, new way of doing things and its time to add these types of features. Yoyo can make this a selling point. If the other engines arent doing this Yoyo can be the first and if not, they should still do it.

MilesThatch

So what your suggesting is that I go out to my Explorer, find where GM2 is storing my projects, open the project where I think the file is. Find that its not in that projects folder. Start going through my other projects to find what I need and waste a bunch of time searching for it.
Or in my system open My Library and find what I was looking for and add to my project.
What you want is for it to remain the same as it has in the past and any suggestions for new features is heresy. New tool, new way of doing things and its time to add these types of features. Yoyo can make this a selling point. If the other engines arent doing this Yoyo can be the first and if not, they should still do it.
Do you think this much though it when you're siting on the can and about to wipe yourself?
Let me use your method of thinking to equivalently describe the way you wipe yourself. 1) Locate the toilet paper. 2) Stretch Your arm towards it 3) Remember to let go of your wiener before you do though 4) Grab the toiler paper 5) Rip off a piece... 6) Fold it neatly as to avoid stains... Do I have to go on?
The way you put it will make anything sound more complicated that what it actually is.

You'd also have to have extremely poor organizing skills if you can't properly locate your files in the folder hierarchy. GM2 folder structure is not rocket science. Also did you know that the File Explorer that every copy of windows is outfitted with has a really handy feature called the "Search" bar? You won't believe it, but if you type in the first few characters of the resource you are looking for, it will magically fetch it for you. And your so "revolutionary" Library feature gets filled with dozens of assets, the next thing you will ask is that exact search feature which will effective render your Library pointless since you could do that all along if you were just a little bit less lazy.

Last edited:

XanthorXIII

Do you think this much though it when you're siting on the can and about to wipe yourself?
Let me use your method of thinking to equivalently describe the way you wipe yourself. 1) Locate the toilet paper. 2) Stretch Your arm towards it 3) Remember to let go of your wiener before you do though 4) Grab the toiler paper 5) Rip off a piece... 6) Fold it neatly as to avoid stains... Do I have to go on?
The way you put it will make anything sound more complicated that what it actually is.

You'd also have to have extremely poor organizing skills if you can't properly locate your files in the folder hierarchy. GM2 folder structure is not rocket science. Also did you know that the File Explorer that every copy of windows is outfitted with has a really handy feature called the "Search" bar? You won't believe it, but if you type in the first few characters of the resource you are looking for, it will magically fetch it for you. And your so "revolutionary" Library feature gets filled with dozens of assets, the next thing you will ask is that exact search feature which will effective render your Library pointless since you could do that all along if you were just a little bit less lazy.
There's already a search function in the My Library so I wouldn't need to ask for that to begin with. You seem to be more of a hands on for manually organizing your assets which is fine. I'm more of let's take the mundane, and make it exciting, make it portable, make it new since we have this great new tool. The functionality is already there, why not take advantage of it. Add a couple of things to put that in place and bam it's done. You can still do it manually if you want to. And then a further step, let's say you need to share those resources with other users in your group. Find the resources you already have and package that up in a nice and neat file for them to import into GMS2.0 for their library. And then on top of that you can take that and put that in the store. You make the tools do the work.

MilesThatch

There's already a search function in the My Library so I wouldn't need to ask for that to begin with. You seem to be more of a hands on for manually organizing your assets which is fine. I'm more of let's take the mundane, and make it exciting, make it portable, make it new since we have this great new tool. The functionality is already there, why not take advantage of it. Add a couple of things to put that in place and bam it's done. You can still do it manually if you want to. And then a further step, let's say you need to share those resources with other users in your group. Find the resources you already have and package that up in a nice and neat file for them to import into GMS2.0 for their library. And then on top of that you can take that and put that in the store. You make the tools do the work.
Well if they do end up implementing it, then you get what you wanted. It's still always a good idea to subject anything like this to a healthy dose of scrutny. Pretty sure YoYo has their hands full, judging by their posted schedule for the foreseeable future.

XanthorXIII

I think what we're looking for here, is project templates. Which I personally would love to see.
I think that would be great as well. So you would start a Template Project, put the resources in you want and save out with description. Then when you used it for a project, it would ask you for some information such as Project Name and would open with everything you had.

MilesThatch

I have to say that perhaps I was wrong about dismissing the library idea. 2.0 Stores every object in a separate folder and, contrary to my argument, you CAN'T drag and drop .yy object files straight into the ide. You have to use the "Add existing" to do that. It works with other files like Image, sound file by not the .yy files.

So in this case either the library or allow to drag and drop yy files into the ide would be great.

H

Harrk

Adding in my thumbs up for some sort of local library or export/import object tool. I've got an object that I'd like to re-use across other projects and currently I have to recreate it every time. Now I'm not sure if any other solution exists to this, but I could really use with an easier way to migrate objects over to other projects from within the IDE.

I like the sound of creating a package without it being tied to the marketplace or a publisher account which then I can reuse across projects.

A

Aaron Montoya

I totally agree with this idea. I don't want to have to go through a game and maybe corrupt it just to grab a couple scripts.

JeffJ

When I first read about the "My Library" feature, I thought this was exactly what it was too.

Sign me up as well, I'd love to have that.

bml

'Add existing' is tedious for every single file. My current project has around 700 assets and is corrupted so I'm having to move them one-by-one. Most are sprites where I can drop the original image files into the IDE, but then I loose all the meta information for each sprite. Disabling 'Always open new resources created by dropping files into the IDE' greatly helps for any significant number of files. So anything that helps with sharing assets between projects would be very welcome.

Pawel

I agree that something like that would be realy handy.
At least if it requires too much work something like we had in GMS1 where you could import some resources from different project to existing one.
Not one by one like it is in GMS2 now.
I am talking about feature in the IDE which will let us choose which resources should be imported from older projects.

Last edited:

Pawel

I don't know if they can do this quickly.
Guys are busy fixing bugs and improving GMS2.
That is their main priority I suppose.

However importing resources one by one like 30 scripts from other project is very annoying :)

XanthorXIII

Should read Mikes blog. It basically sounds like they were wasting time on GMS 1.4 for a full year after 2.0 had been released. That’s why 2016 - 2017 felt slow, no real progress

It’s 2019 and we’ve not seen any of this yet. Seriously this needs to be in the next release.
Perhaps this:
I read the entire comment. At the end, Dan suggested the extension was made without actually being available on the marketplace yet so I thought that process might have been changed recently (which is what we've all been demanding for years now).

Wishful thinking on my part...
This is planned for 2.2.3!
If it is what I think you are referring to - a way to have your own extensions/library without needing to use the Marketplace - then it looks like it is going to be in the next release.

Jack S

Going to note - as a work around you can make marketplace assets and not publish them publicly and get the functionality you desire....

Let's Clone

Going to note - as a work around you can make marketplace assets and not publish them publicly and get the functionality you desire....
I'm going to look into this, thanks!
It's always felt to my that YoYo skipped out on the "My" part of My Library =P

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Just use the Local Asset Package option from the marketplace menu in the IDE and store the resultant packages on Drive or Dropbox or something. No need to use the actual marketplace. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.