Discussion [Feature Request] Add a Comment Drag and Drop Action

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Owen Morgan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Owen Morgan

Owen Morgan Member

First I need to say the Drag and Drop system in GameMaker 2 is GREATLY improved over 1.4. While I miss a few Drag and Drop Actions from 1.4 the most frustrating exclusion is the Comment Block.

Having the ability to add comments within the new DnD system would be of great benefit to new users of GameMaker as well as to all levels of instructors teaching beginning game design to their students.

I know that a code block can be added and a comment could be added to it, but this is a clunky alternative to a clean DnD Action. I would rather something like the following image:

GameMaker_DnD_Comment_Action_Concept.png
    [​IMG]

Thank you for your consideration.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Please file a bug report with tis as a suggestion. It does seem like something that should be added... :)

3. Owen Morgan

Owen Morgan Member

Thank you. I've submitted this a bug - hopefully it will be 'fixed' o_O

4. blitzbasement

blitzbasement Member

Thanks Owen for that bug submission. This will certainly be helpful for my students too when the school crosses over to GMS2.
    Students found these comments very helpful in earlier versions during revisions.

5. adee

adee Member

Is this still the only way to add comments in drag and drop? No better way yet? If not, is the block mentioned above a block called 'execute code' , a red color block? I'm looking for a better way for my students to add comments because they HAVE to comment out their code to gain a pass.

6. Jobo

Jobo Adder of Bugs YYG Staff

There's no "correct" way to comment Drag and Drop yet.

BiTrunade likes this.
  7. iKiwed

iKiwed Member

As far as I know the best way to add a comment using DnD is actually using the "Execute Code" tile and do it like in coding.
    But you're idea is actually good.

(It's 2018 and we don't have it yet.)

8. TyMy

TyMy Member

Just moved over from Gamemaker 1.4 and I could really use this for organization.

Please consider prioritizing adding this feature for DnD users.