Windows Fatty Rabbit Hole - A cartoon arcade game where you eat all the junk food!

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder

Fatty Rabbit Hole is a game that I'm working on - where you play as a rabbit, falling down an endless hole, eating as much junk food as you can.

DEMO: You can play the game in HTML5 form here: fattyrabbithole.com It's not the full version of the game, but it's playable from start to finish, and has most of what the final version of the game will have.

GREENLIGHT: If you like the game, I'd appreciate your support on Steam Greenlight, which you'll find here!

The game started off as kind of a joke, but grew into something much more as I worked on it. I started working on it in my spare time, back in March, and have been slowly adding to it in my spare time. It's been a good excuse for me to get back into game development with GameMaker, and also to learn how to use Spine for the animation and practice drawing on my Surface Book. Pretty much everything in the game is hand-drawn!

Here are a few screenshots:

Here are the current features (not all are available in the HTML5 version):
  • 12 unique rounds that play out in a random order very time
  • 4 unique mini games to play at halftime of each round
  • Entirely hand-drawn art
  • A variety of classic sound effects and music to enhance the cartoon experience
Things that I'm working on adding right now are:
  • Some "boss" rounds, which happen every 5 rounds, and will be more complex and have more dangers
  • More halftime games (there's a new one already in the newest build of the game)
  • Support for different aspect ratios
  • Mobile support, for tablets (the HTML5 version can be played with mouse/touch, but I've implemented a much better version in the newest build).
It's not a huge game, but it's my first big project with GameMaker in a long time, and I've really been enjoying working with it again, especially with the new Spine animation support.

The game was based on a bunch of jokes from one of my favorite podcasts, Matt & Mattingly's Ice Cream Social, which you can listen to at heyscoops.com, but you don't need to be familiar with the show to enjoy the game. The hosts have officially endorsed the game, which is exciting and cool. :)

Last edited:

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
If you're curious about what I've used Spine for in this project, here are a few GIF's to show off some of what I've done:

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Yes Fred's back!

The artwork looks very smooth as always!
Hehe, hey thanks!

This is actually the first game I've incorporated hand-drawn graphics into (at least, the first one that's gone anywhere). i bought Spine to work on this project, and I love it. Great for this sort of thing, and highly recommended.

C

Charyb

You used to have a top-down shooter game, forgot what it was called. Falcon something?

That was one of my favorites from you, was disappointed it didn't get further developed.

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
You used to have a top-down shooter game, forgot what it was called. Falcon something?

That was one of my favorites from you, was disappointed it didn't get further developed.
Yup, Falcon Squad. I believe that when I was working on that game, I took another job that had my commute jump from about 10 minutes to an hour+. So for about 6 years there, I had virtually no time to work on games, and a lot of the old stuff got put on hold/abandoned.

I might blow the dust off that project at some point. It'd be a shame to let all that artwork go to waste, and GameMaker is more powerful than it was back then, so it'd be even better, I think. :)

D

darthlupi

Hey man,

It is good to see that you are churning out quality stuff again.

This game's presentation was super top notch! It seems like you have mastered spine, and it looks great.

My only game play suggestion was that the player seemed to drift a bit much. I felt a little out of control. It looked spot on, but it effected my accuracy in tight spots.

This, again, looks to be a winner.

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Thanks Darthlupi - good to see you back here too! :)

Thank you for the feedback - I'll have to take a look at that and see if it feels better if I tighten it up a bit. Originally I wanted the controls to be pretty loose, with the lack of friction adding the challenge (and the overall effect that the rabbit is falling). It's been a long time since I've played around with that particular part of the game though, so maybe it's due for a re-inspection.

D

darthlupi

It might also be that I am just being a giant sissy!
I've played it some more and it does take a little getting used to, but it works once you have the feel!

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
It might also be that I am just being a giant sissy!
I've played it some more and it does take a little getting used to, but it works once you have the feel!
Hehe, well - this is something I've struggled with over the brief development of this game. A lot of people play it and tell me it's too hard, but it often seems too easy to me - I'm obviously biased though because I know a lot more about how the game works underneath the hood.

Eventually I'll have the game out on Google Play, and it includes an updated (and way, way better) touch control setup. It'll be interesting to see if people think the game is much too hard on a touch screen, since that seems to introduce an added layer of thinking for input - but poeple who play games on touch screens are usually a lot better at it than I am too, so we'll see. I might have to find some gamers who like playing on touch screen to test that at some point, just to be sure.

Anyway, I will play around with this a bit though. Even a little tweak could make a big difference! :)

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Here's a quick update - I've been working on some more of the artwork and animations for the "boss" rounds... particularly one called "Jock vs Nerd", in which the player is subjected to a series of sports and nerd related obstacles. Here's a GIF of the end result of the work you can watch below:

I've been trying to stream more of my work, so if you're interested in seeing me work in Illustrator and Spine, you can watch on Twitch, in the following videos:

July 6, 2016 - Cleaning up and coloring in the "jock" card face: https://www.twitch.tv/martincrownover/v/76499608
July 6, 2016 - Cleaning up and coloring in the "nerd" card face, then setting up an animation (which I lost as Spine crashes near the end): https://www.twitch.tv/martincrownover/v/76686163
July 7, 2016 - Rebuilding the Spine animation and making it work for both jock and nerd: https://www.twitch.tv/martincrownover/v/76740632

Videos on Twitch are time-sensitive, so if you want to watch me work, definitely check out those links soon - or follow me and watch me live at: https://www.twitch.tv/martincrownover

I'll be posting more as I go. Thanks for watching - and be sure to keep leaving your feedback on the game here, too!

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
No more GIF updates yet, but I did some more game dev work this morning, which you can watch on Twitch, here: https://www.twitch.tv/martincrownover/v/77299290

The "boss" round artwork is taking a lot of time to put together, but once it's done I should be about ready to just blast through the rest of the programming and finish this game up!

I would love to get more feedback though, so please post here if you have any thoughts on the game. Thanks!

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Hey everyone! I've made some progress over the last couple of weeks, fully implementing the first "boss" (I thought I was done with this before, but I ended up going back in and tweaking it a bit after more testing).

Here's a few new GIF's of Deerdevil, the star of the game's first "boss" round:

Hopefully this page hasn't become a GIF overload!

Anyway, I'll be getting more work done on the second "boss" round soon, which will feature 4-5 different phases where you avoid jock and nerd-themed obstacles. I'm also thinking about putting together a Windows demo for the game, which would include the first basic round, plus a randomized second round (chosen from one of the game's 11 other variants). We'll see, though.

I'm still looking for feedback, so if you've tried out the HTML5 demo, please post your feedback here. Thanks!

U

user240485

I have only seen your trailer so I basing everything i have said on that trailer.

This is a small nitpick but first off those cheesy stock sound effects are a real negative for me in terms of presentation. Some people may not even notice or care but those stock sound effects really cheapen your game. What is shown in the trailer looks good, but as soon as I heard those stock sound effects, my enthusiasm took a nose dive. Also it seems you haven't quite got the audio normalized quite right. To me some of those sound effects are overpowering the soundtrack a bit in places. I understand its a cartoon art style, exaggeration and all that, but I would tone back the some of those sound effects. Visually it looks good, I just am a stickler for good audio balance. And it may just be the trailer and be perfectly fine in game. I hope my nitpick helps in some way. Anyways good luck.

Edit: Nope tried the HTML link and I can't play it. It ran so slow it was unplayable. Maybe its me to many tabs open or something.

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Thanks for trying it out at least, user240485! The HTML5 version is a bit heavy, so if your computer isn't up to snuff, it'll run poorly.

This is a small nitpick but first off those cheesy stock sound effects are a real negative for me in terms of presentation. Some people may not even notice or care but those stock sound effects really cheapen your game. What is shown in the trailer looks good, but as soon as I heard those stock sound effects, my enthusiasm took a nose dive.
That's too bad, but I'm not going to change out the sound effects unfortunately. Those are classic sound effects from a library of effects I picked up (from Hanna-Barbera), and they are meant to compliment the cartoon style of the game. Other games, like Earthworm Jim for example, have utilized effects like these - and I think they add style to the soundscape that you can't get from using traditional effects.

All that said, the proper Windows and mobile versions of the game will have a volume slider for both music and sounds, so you can adjust them however you like - or disable them entirely.

Also it seems you haven't quite got the audio normalized quite right. To me some of those sound effects are overpowering the soundtrack a bit in places. I understand its a cartoon art style, exaggeration and all that, but I would tone back the some of those sound effects. Visually it looks good, I just am a stickler for good audio balance. And it may just be the trailer and be perfectly fine in game. I hope my nitpick helps in some way. Anyways good luck.
Balancing the audio is something that I've been doing in a very limited way as I put things together, and so I agree that it needs some work. It's something I'll be working on closer to the end of development. Maybe you can give me some more pointers once I have a Windows demo up.

U

user240485

That's too bad, but I'm not going to change out the sound effects unfortunately. Those are classic sound effects from a library of effects I picked up (from Hanna-Barbera), and they are meant to compliment the cartoon style of the game. Other games, like Earthworm Jim for example, have utilized effects like these - and I think they add style to the soundscape that you can't get from using traditional effects.
Lol I honestly didn't think you would remove or change anything on the word of a single person. And i didn't really mean for it to come across as harsh as it did. I supposed it's a little like the Wilhelm scream its been in everything that and has gotten to the point where when used most people are just amused that its still being used today. As you said its your game and you chose which direction you wanted to go for with the audio, that's fine. As I said before most people won't care too much. I main reason I brought it up was I have my face planted to the steam indie scene as close as I can get it. I constantly trying to see what works, what doesn't and what not to do in the eyes of the steam user base. One of the things is trying to make your game stand out and using anything that makes it have the whiff of stock assets seems to be a big no-no. Ever see those RPG Makers style games? Some have decent stories but the masses see the distinct RPG Maker character assets and simply ignore it. That's what I was trying to convey. I realize that this late in your games development it's a little hard to just change things up. But I feel that even a little knowledge and criticism can help, so I posted what I thought.

Balancing the audio is something that I've been doing in a very limited way as I put things together, and so I agree that it needs some work. It's something I'll be working on closer to the end of development. Maybe you can give me some more pointers once I have a Windows demo up.
Audio is a tricky thing since its so subjective. What sounds good to someone may sound "off" to someone else. That's why so many genres of music exist. I feel that basic audio sliders are a must on any platform that the game is played on (that and FOV sliders lol). The absence of decent set of sliders is the hallmark of lazy designing, so its good that your doing this. But I doesn't mean that's a fix. The player shouldn't have to balance the audio levels for you. The sliders should be there for the ease of the player to customize the game as they see fit. Unfortunately the only way to find a good center point is testing. And not just yourself, get friends, family, that one guy that sits in the corner of the coffee shop all day playing video games, anyone willing to play your game. Also don't just give them the game and say have fun tell me what you think. Give them direction. A simple list or questionnaire highlighting the things you want them to really focus on helps. Contrary to what most people think. Hearing "hey good game" isn't all that helpful. I remember a long time ago I did a beta test for a game and submitted a 25 page report on a 2D platform game I was testing. The dev replied that he was shocked that I had spent so much time finding so many bugs, glitches, and design flaws. Some of the glitches the player had no way of getting unless they had the god-mode and infinite jump cheats I could used. Apparently the other testers simply replied "good game keep up the good work". But im getting off sidetracked sorry im kind of a long poster.

I tried to playing the HTML5 version again and no luck. For some reason the game just runs slow. I seriously doubt its my hardware holding me back. Its a bit of a clunker now but when I build it a few years ago it was rock solid. Fallout 4 on HIGH is solid 60 fps (newest AAA game I own) If it can handle that game it sure should be able to play your game. Only thing I can assume is something chrome doesn't like about it and keeping it from running at the correct speed.

The art style and animation looks good I truly hope greenlight is favorable to you.

Is the game's name supposed to sound vaguely disgusting? : \
Judging by the gameplay, maybe it is?

The stock sound effects bothered me, too. Felt a little cheap and uninspired. The sound effects just didn't feel like they fit. You mentioned Earthworm Jim....they did a better job merging the visuals with the stock sound effects. Even then, I remember not really liking the sound design of that game.

The gameplay itself was pretty decent, though. I'm usually not a fan of the puppet-style animation you have going with your game, but it actually suit the gameplay well, and you did a good job with the movement. The character was satisfying to control, which is rare.

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Lol I honestly didn't think you would remove or change anything on the word of a single person. And i didn't really mean for it to come across as harsh as it did. I supposed it's a little like the Wilhelm scream its been in everything that and has gotten to the point where when used most people are just amused that its still being used today. As you said its your game and you chose which direction you wanted to go for with the audio, that's fine. As I said before most people won't care too much. I main reason I brought it up was I have my face planted to the steam indie scene as close as I can get it. I constantly trying to see what works, what doesn't and what not to do in the eyes of the steam user base. One of the things is trying to make your game stand out and using anything that makes it have the whiff of stock assets seems to be a big no-no. Ever see those RPG Makers style games? Some have decent stories but the masses see the distinct RPG Maker character assets and simply ignore it.
Well, my thoughts on the game's sound design are not just due to your comments - I've had other people test that game outside of this forum, and I have received similar feedback regarding the volume levels.

In terms of the uniqueness of the sound effects, I'm not sure if I'd equate it to the Wilhelm Scream, which is just put into movies by sound designers as more of a wink at other sound designers than as a cliche. I also don't think using classic cartoon sound effects makes the game seem cookie-cutter like games made with default assets from RPG Maker. To me, these sound effects call back to the classic cartoons of old, and it lends the game a more authentic cartoon feel.

The player shouldn't have to balance the audio levels for you. The sliders should be there for the ease of the player to customize the game as they see fit.
That's pretty much exactly why the volume sliders are there. I'm going to do my best to balance the sounds and music myself, and then if any of it is really annoying to players, they'll have that further step they can take to make sure it works how they want it to.

Unfortunately the only way to find a good center point is testing. And not just yourself, get friends, family, that one guy that sits in the corner of the coffee shop all day playing video games, anyone willing to play your game. Also don't just give them the game and say have fun tell me what you think. Give them direction. A simple list or questionnaire highlighting the things you want them to really focus on helps. Contrary to what most people think. Hearing "hey good game" isn't all that helpful. I remember a long time ago I did a beta test for a game and submitted a 25 page report on a 2D platform game I was testing. The dev replied that he was shocked that I had spent so much time finding so many bugs, glitches, and design flaws. Some of the glitches the player had no way of getting unless they had the god-mode and infinite jump cheats I could used. Apparently the other testers simply replied "good game keep up the good work". But im getting off sidetracked sorry im kind of a long poster.
That's alright, i appreciate the feedback. Indeed, the other testing I've done so far has been more focused than just posting the link to the game here. I don't feel like the WIP forum is a good place to ask for super-focused testing, though. I appreciate it when people tell me they like the games I make, but I agree, that is not particularly helpful/critical advice.

I tried to playing the HTML5 version again and no luck. For some reason the game just runs slow. I seriously doubt its my hardware holding me back. Its a bit of a clunker now but when I build it a few years ago it was rock solid. Fallout 4 on HIGH is solid 60 fps (newest AAA game I own) If it can handle that game it sure should be able to play your game. Only thing I can assume is something chrome doesn't like about it and keeping it from running at the correct speed.
Eventually, I'll have a demo out that will let you play a native app version of the game. The HTML5 version is not ideal, I agree. Originally, that's all I meant the game to be - and there's still a bit of optimization I've been meaning to do under the hood. For now though, I'm more interested in just finishing the last bit of content up and then worrying about the details. :)

The art style and animation looks good I truly hope greenlight is favorable to you.
Thanks - I hope so too!

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Pardon the double-post, but I just wanted to quickly address both of these messages in a one-two punch of posts to make it easier to sort out...
Is the game's name supposed to sound vaguely disgusting? : \
Judging by the gameplay, maybe it is?
Yes, in a way. It's based on a kind of joke about falling down a conversational rabbit hole, but it's a fatty rabbit hole because it's all about food. Anything gross about it is sort of just an added bonus, in my opinion. I mean, the game does feature a rabbit who, if you're not terribly good at it, is constantly puking. :D

The stock sound effects bothered me, too. Felt a little cheap and uninspired. The sound effects just didn't feel like they fit. You mentioned Earthworm Jim....they did a better job merging the visuals with the stock sound effects. Even then, I remember not really liking the sound design of that game.
The sound design in EWJ wasn't always on point 100% of the time, I can agree with that. But I did feel like the use of those sorts of sound effects lent a certain authenticity to the art of the game, which was why I also chose to go that route. I'm not a sound designer though, and this is my first time utilizing this library of sound effects for a game, so I'm sure I won't hit all the right notes every time either.

The gameplay itself was pretty decent, though. I'm usually not a fan of the puppet-style animation you have going with your game, but it actually suit the gameplay well, and you did a good job with the movement. The character was satisfying to control, which is rare.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the gameplay, at least. The character's control and the way he looks as you control him was something that I spent a lot of time on at the start of the project - and I probably wouldn't have taken it this far if I hadn't been able to get it just right.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the gameplay, at least. The character's control and the way he looks as you control him was something that I spent a lot of time on at the start of the project - and I probably wouldn't have taken it this far if I hadn't been able to get it just right.
Yeah, you did a very good job with the overall game feel. Movement was very tactile and satisfying feeling!:)

Is the game on mobile, or do you have any plans for it? I could see the physics you have here being really fun with gyroscope controls, and score based games like this are great for short stop-and-go play sessions.

FredFredrickson

GMC Elder
Is the game on mobile, or do you have any plans for it? I could see the physics you have here being really fun with gyroscope controls, and score based games like this are great for short stop-and-go play sessions.
It will hopefully be at least on Android, yes. I've spent some time making touch controls that are somewhat customizable, and all the UI elements work with touch as well, on both platforms. I hadn't thought about utilizing gyroscope controls - but that's an interesting idea that I might try out.

I have a Galaxy Tab S2, and the game almost hits full speed on it, so that's another area I may have to work on for testing/optimization - but it's in my plans. :)