• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Fatal Exception Error?

B

Basher1402

I have just bough the desktop version of GameMaker Studio 2 with the Black Friday sale. I downloaded the most current version for Windows, and it installed fine. However, when I opened up the engine and created a new project, I will get errors and crashes when doing things like editing a sprite or right-clicking on the start up page. It comes up with a window telling me that a "fatal exception has occurred in GameMaker Studio 2 and the program needs to close." I have sent in bug reports, but nothing has changed. I have also tried restarting my laptop and even tried reinstalling the engine. Sadly, nothing has worked.

Can someone please explain to me why it's messing up? I just got the engine, and I am super confused to why it is messing up like this. I should have an example of the error window I am getting.

All solution or answers are welcome! Thank you! :)

Attachments

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
That's unfortunate! It's also very rare that you get to see the crash handler window like that, which would suggest that something is very wrong with the installation... Where are you installing it to? Have you tried (if possible) installing to a different location? For example, if you are installing to C/Programs, try installing it on another drive. Also, apart from sending in the crash handler data, could you also file a bug report? You can do this from your YoYo Accounts page, and you need to saupply the "ui.log" file which can be found in the %programdata%/GameMakerStudio2 folder. Oh, and if you have Steam, then you can link your Steam account to your YoYo Account and install GameMaker from Steam and use that. It might let you use it without getting these crashes while YYG looks at your bug report and tries to find out what's up.

B

Basher1402

That's unfortunate! It's also very rare that you get to see the crash handler window like that, which would suggest that something is very wrong with the installation... Where are you installing it to? Have you tried (if possible) installing to a different location? For example, if you are installing to C/Programs, try installing it on another drive. Also, apart from sending in the crash handler data, could you also file a bug report? You can do this from your YoYo Accounts page, and you need to saupply the "ui.log" file which can be found in the %programdata%/GameMakerStudio2 folder. Oh, and if you have Steam, then you can link your Steam account to your YoYo Account and install GameMaker from Steam and use that. It might let you use it without getting these crashes while YYG looks at your bug report and tries to find out what's up.
Thank you! I had it installed to C/Programs, so I will try to install it somewhere else! I can also send in a bug report to YYG to help solve the issue in the future!