• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE "Fatal Error: Game Maker Studio 2 has become unstable. Please save changes and exit." Help!

sammaster9

IDE v2.3.0.529
Runtime v2.3.0.401

I am working on my long term project and now am running into this issue.
This error happens every time I try to add a variable definition to one specific object; obj_unit. Specifically, it happens when I try to type the name of the variable in the "variable definition" menu of the object editor. Adding a variable definition to a different object does not cause this error.
I can still compile and run the game correctly.

I updated to this version of GMS a few days ago, and this error first occurred today.
I apologize if this post is in the wrong section, I am new to these forums. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I can provide any other helpful information.

I don't know if this is related, but this appears in my "Output" window upon loading the project. I don't recall if it was happening earlier.
"
Verifying views...
No root view detected... automatically creating one
...done
"

sammaster9

Make a backup and use this tool. Maybe your project is corrupted.
Thank you for the tip! I downloaded the YYPMaker tool and ran my project through it. It generated a new yyp file. When I open that yyp file in GMS2, the error persists. Thanks again for suggesting I try that, unfortunately it did not fix the issue.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Please file a bug report and include a link to the YYZ of the project with the issue, and explain the issue in detail (and link to this topic too). Sounds very much like a bug in the IDE...