Fatal Error: Can not create vertex buffer of size 262144 bytes

ok im new to using vertex buffers and have been attempting to create a rotating 3d tetrahedron and when i took a break to write some emails the following error cropped up.

i thought that by using

Code:
vertex_delete_buffer(v_buff);
that this would purge everything so that a problem would not occur but their seems to be some other leak occurring.

one possible cause, i found that i had the vertex format code in the draw event and it was being run every time, i have since moved it to the create event, might that be the cause of this error? if not is their some other possible reason that this error would occur in a project that otherwise is completely empty except for one other object controling the camera for d3d_set_projection

Code:
of Draw Event
for object obj_vert:

Fatal Error: Can not create vertex buffer of size 262144 bytes
15122 vertex buffers allocated with total size of -322432 KB
 at gml_Object_obj_vert_DrawEvent_1 (line 70) - vertex_submit(v_buff, pr_trianglestrip, tex);
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_vert_DrawEvent_1 (line 70)
thank you.