An efficient surface based 2d lighting and shadow system packed with features and optimizations, now for GMS2.
Download the example project.
Download the Caster Creator executable.
Download the Caster Creator project.
I am happy to announce an upgrade to the popular Fast Lights, surface base lighting engine, now for GameMaker Studio 2.
Fast Lights is a highly optimized set of scripts that perform the drawing of 2d lights and polygonal shadows for games built with GMS.
This is a major upgrade to Fast Lights 1 and is not backwards compatible, though upgrading should not be difficult.
This update covers the following improvements:
- Lights, casters, and the overall system are no longer tied to instance variables and globals.
- Support for multiple lighting systems in the same room, each with independent lights and casters.
- Lightmap masks which allow for lit areas that are shapes other than rectangles.
- New Caster Creator program for making point lists to use in a shadow caster.
- Overall improved code quality.
The Caster Creator** is available in both a Windows executable and source. Feel free to use the source code or remix the project to your liking.
If you have any questions please check the original Fast Lights forum thread, many questions have been asked and answered there, otherwise ask your question on this thread and I will try to answer it when I can.
Fast Lights 2 is completely free to use, even for commercial projects, no credit required.
If you make something cool with Fast Lights, I'd love to see it, post it here!
*The example project contains free assets from https://www.gameart2d.com/freebies.html
**Caster Creator uses the incredible editable textbox from https://www.stuffbydavid.com/