Farside Rpg : Platformer-Rpg-Roguelite

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheWinterBeast

Hello everyone, My name is Alessandro and I'm 17 years old, I want to make a small game called "Farside Rpg" which is based on a Platformer-Rpg-Roguelite genre. I've already got started on the basics and got a decent tileset going (Spent about 20 hours coding it so far).

The inspiration for the game is mainly from "Nuclear Throne", "Magicite" and slightly from "Enter The Gungeon", my main goals are going to be multiple bosses, crafting/inventory system, many weapons/armor sets, linear procedural generated levels (based on biomes), easy quests to go along with the adventure, NPCs, shops, ~3 classes not sure yet, minimal story, loot along the way, and a little resource gathering.

The reason I posted this was to get some feedback on what I should/shouldn't do and to get any suggestions you guys have for this type of theme. Any suggestion is appreciated Thanks

I want to make a small game
OK, great!

my main goals are going to be multiple bosses, crafting/inventory system, many weapons/armor sets, linear procedural generated levels (based on biomes), easy quests to go along with the adventure, NPCs, shops, ~3 classes not sure yet, minimal story, loot along the way, and a little resource gathering.
This does not sound like a small game to me.

What is your previous game development experience? The things you have listed sound like a lot of work if you are just starting out in game dev.

If it is your first project, I would reduce the design. One hero, don't do procedural generation at first, drop the crafting/resource system and just have weapons and armour as things you collect from the levels/monsters. Build a working prototype first, and if you are happy with it, then think about adding shops/NPCs/story etc...

If you do have previous experience, then you can safely ignore the above, but I would still say this is not a small game by any means.

My only advice I could say at the moment is get your procedurally generated levels working first, then start adding in heros and monsters, build the game piece by piece. Make sure each piece is in a working state before moving on to the next part.

T

TheWinterBeast

I agree that it isn’t a very “Small” game by any means, I didn’t realize what exactly I wrote XD.
I know that it will take time and that I have to do everything step by step and I am willing to do that. As of the “Previous Projects” I have about 400+ hours using gml and I think that I have enough knowledge, correct me if I’m wrong to do this.

Thanks for the reply and the tip about the procedural generation I just haven’t made a project of this scale only small-mediumish games/prototypes and I think this could be the next step for me.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Seems premature to post a topic. There's very few details about gameplay, no demo, and no screenshots. So I'll close this, but leave the topic visible since others have contributed.

PM me when you have something to show -- such as a demo and screenshots, and we can re-open the topic.

Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.