HTML5 Farmer Karma

Pixel Logo3.png

My entry for the Brackey gamejam 2021.2
Play in browser

Nurture a swarm of locusts to desolate a farm.

Mother Nature is unhappy with the way we are treating the planet and has decided to strike back! Not only has a snowstorm hit in the middle of summer, rapidly multiplying locusts are attacking the food supply. The fate of humanity is in your hands.

Instructions:
  • Use mouse to guide swarm
  • Anything yellow is edible
  • Eat to reproduce
  • Watch out for chickens

How to win:
  • Eat all the food! But if all locusts die, it’s game over.

Game details:
  • Hold mouse down to jump even when swarm is close to the mouse
  • Health of each individual locust is indicated by its jump height
  • When a locust eats, its health is restored to full.
  • When an individual food is fully eaten (e.g. 1x tree), a new locust will spawn.
  • Each jump reduces health slightly.
  • Chickens love to eat bugs, and farmers will protect their cost with their life
  • Move mouse in circle to create larger swarm area.
  • Once a locust starts eating, it will not leave until it has finished the food. Plan carefully

What a fun little game. The core concept of an all-consuming swarm is great, it's very satisfying to strip things down to the roots. I think it'd be good if the locusts "honed in" on food sources as they got close, as it was quite hard to get them all eating sometimes and I had a fair few die while they were right beside stuff because they kept jumping around it. Also, maybe a bit quicker move speed, hahaha, jumping slowly over to another patch of food as locust upon locust falls prey to hunger can be a little frustrating. Great job overall though!

Pretty cool.. Reminds me a little of "the day the earth stood still"..
Thanks! I haven't seen it, I will have to watch it! How so?

The core concept of an all-consuming swarm is great, it's very satisfying to strip things down to the roots.
I'm so glad to hear it was satisfying, is there anything that could be done to make it even more satisfying?

I think it'd be good if the locusts "honed in" on food sources as they got close, as it was quite hard to get them all eating sometimes and I had a fair few die while they were right beside stuff because they kept jumping around it.
That's a very good point, I see what you mean. I'll see what I can do! It's very frustrating now that I've noticed it

Also, maybe a bit quicker move speed, hahaha, jumping slowly over to another patch of food as locust upon locust falls prey to hunger can be a little frustrating.
This absolutely will be addressed in the next version too, the reason why movement is so slow is because when I was testing, I was using a different (uglier) map that was all bunched together. Then I made a prettier map in the last 10 minutes with all the art spread out. And now you notice how slowly they move but it was too late to fix it for the jam

Thank you so much for the feedback!