• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Farkle In Space

M

MysteryPoo

Hello everyone!

I've been working on this game for approximately six months now and I think I'm ready for some public opinion.

This game is inspired by an old gambling dice game called Farkle, however I've changed the premise a bit and added a space theme. You can play with up to 4 players (3 + you) online (or offline on the same device if you so choose). The goal is to create a large enough fleet to enter orbit of a planet and bombard its defenses until they surrender. To create a fleet, you can either manufacture ships or attempt to fight other player's fleets and convert the survivors to your side. Once you have a large enough fleet and enter orbit, things change a bit. While bombarding, the scoring actually reduces your fleet size and the special die dictates damage done to the planetary defenses (explosion = 2 damage, anomaly = 1 damage, takes total of 3 damage to win). If you Farkle, you must retreat and the defenses are repaired to full. The winner of the game is the player the planet surrenders to first.

Actions are decided by rolling 6 dice and matching the rolls to specific combinations. As long as some kind of combination is rolled, you can keep rolling the remaining dice; if you run out of dice, you get a fresh set of 6 to keep going. However, if you fail to roll a successful combination on the score card, then you "Farkle" and lose your entire accumulated score for that turn; so the trick is to know when to quit or keep going.

There is also a special die cast with the other 6 that does 1 of 3 things: nothing (4 out of 6), gives you an action card (you can only have 1 at a time), or things go awry and you lose all scorable dice that roll (and can roll again... this is sometimes good as it cancels a Farkle).

The game also has a friend list, lobby system, and avatar and dice skin unlocking system.

My actual intent for this game is to use it as the center piece for an educational series. If there is interest, I'd like to use this game as a fully-detailed example to do a "Game from Scratch" series. I'd not only include the client, but how to make the entire back-end system as well (using Node.js; this actually includes how to support cross-platform with native sockets and websockets). Before I can start that, though, I want to finish this game (I'd say it's nearly feature complete and just needs to go through an Alpha or Beta).

The graphics are all programmer art for now; They'll be redone and finalized next year.

Any and all feedback is welcome. There is a bug report email button in game, as well. You can use this for bug reports or suggestions. There is a huge list of improvements coming (lots of UI and making sense of things), too, but I wanted to start getting feedback now :D

I maintain a build for Windows and Android, however, I do have an HTML5 client and plan for an iOS build when I release.

Builds: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/90fn61cyo8ni5ij/AAAhYuTs_uovJa_tjrXnQvoxa?dl=0

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/XLJAuGZ

Last edited by a moderator: