• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

false positive and windows smartscreen

Didjynn

Hi guys,

I will release my game in some weeks on steam but I'm stressing a lot because of windows smartscreen (that isn't so smart if you ask me) and ati-viruses that tend to block game maker .exe export. I'm afraid half of the people would have problems with the game because of that and was wondering if steam had an agreement with microsoft, anti-viruses etc to avoid this problem ?

Thx for your answer

A game designer in panic

F

FYNDR

I haven't been able to find anything in the way of workarounds for this in terms of the "Single runtime executable" option when creating an application - both Windows and certain antivirus programs like Avast tend to choke on these because of how the application gets signed IIRC. However, if you choose the "Windows NSIS Installer" or "Compressed applications zip" option then I believe that does sign the executable and users will be able to play the game without it flagging the AV. I usually choose the latter and extract the .zip to add whatever additional files (readme, license, etc) before distributing.

Didjynn

Ok thx for the info. I'll try it this way and I guess I'll have to wait for players reactions to see if there is any problem.