• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code "Failed writing textures out - clear asset cache" x 2... and strange behavior

G

I am starting to get the error message "Failed writing textures out - clear asset cache and try again" message frequently. This can happen even when I haven't edited a sprite but merely changed a sprite name.

More oddly, sometimes I have to clean twice, which makes absolutely no sense.

This would just a baffling nuisance except that this has cropped up simultaneously with some unsettling behavior. Until this weekend, I stretched a 1x1 pixel sprite to make rectangles. Yesterday, it stopped drawing, so, after a lot of troubleshooting, I eventually changed it to a 4x4 sprite, and that worked. Today, it stopped drawing, so I started creating larger and larger sprites until one worked. Now I'm drawing a rectangle using a 10x10 black sprite. This makes no sense. I'm glad I resolved this, but (1) it's wasting my time, (2) it's definitely a bug within GMS2, and (3) it makes me worry about what additional errors are going to start appearing.

I don't know what led to this sudden instability. I'm adding sprites to the project constantly as the artist finishes them. I'm not doing anything beyond what the built-in functions anticipate and allow, and I'm not using any extensions or graphical assets. The only external thing I've imported to my project, besides sprites, is the marketplace asset that lets you print data structures to the console, and that asset just consists of a few scripts.

Is anyone else seeing these behaviors?

K

KarlIvar

I have similar problems. Most of the sprites in my project doesn't draw and I have no idea how to fix it.