• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 Facebook Instant Games - player photo iOS

clee2005

The FBInstantGames extension seems to have a problem (or I do) returning the Photo Url for the player. This function FBInstant.player.getPhoto() works in Android and Web as expected, but when running on an iOS device the function returns undefined. The other functions like FBInstant.player.getName() work in iOS it's just this photo for some reason. Anyone run into this?

Thanks,
Chris

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We're investigating a couple of tickets overnight for Apple warning about UIWebView usage. On the Apple docs page for that API, I just spotted the "Important" message about accessing photos - https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview

We'll look into this as part of reviewing UIWebView usage in general, but perhaps the above info will hep you fix your project sooner.

clee2005

@Dan Ah nice! Thanks very much for that... I'll look into it.

Edit : I read through it and realized that I'm working on a Facebook Instant Game HTML5 export... so there is no info.plist or any native iOS structures... right?

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Yes, I did come to the same realisation. Whoops! ;)

I did also speak to the dev of the extension, and apparently it is already in need of an update, so it might be something fixed in the newer SDK. Alternatively, that message from Apple might point to a system setting or browser preference needs to be enabled for this functionality to work - like I say, we're going to start investigating a couple of these issues here soon anyway.

clee2005

@Dan ok I guess I'll file a ticket just to ensure that it gets addressed. Just wanted to be clear that the function that isn't working is supposed to just return the Photo URL ... not even an image. Thanks!