• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Extra Credits [YouTube channel for Game Dev]

S

Shadow Gamer

The ones I found much more informative and used for my classes were Tutorial 101, Aesthetics of play, graphics vs aesthetics, depth vs complexity, and playtesting. Especially tutorial 101 and playtesting. Design Club was very helpful as well, as well as the "Do you want to be a..." series.

L

Law

While I like extra credits, I do wonder about the sourcing of some of their videos. I know that at least one of the team is a professional games designer, do they have any other experts on the team? Is there any literature on games design they source from?

Overloaded

The Oneirophobe
I enjoy watching Extra Credits, personally. Although, to be honest, there are times I'm struggling to understand what exactly they're trying to say. I watch every new episode they post each week, and I feel like I've learned a lot of stuff. It is worth to mention their history episodes, Extra History, as well. Excellent writing, and I like the concept of having a "Lies" episode after the end of a historic period they cover, to inform us about the lies they told during their episodes.

I also enjoy watching their side channel as well, Extra Play. Especially their Side Quest (Dark Souls) series!

Reactions: Law
L

Law

Extra history plus crash course works history gives you a great look at history from two completely different perspectives. (Great man vs socioeconomic)

S

Shadow Gamer

While I like extra credits, I do wonder about the sourcing of some of their videos. I know that at least one of the team is a professional games designer, do they have any other experts on the team? Is there any literature on games design they source from?
I think they have 15 people, all working in the industry, a few working on overwatch, I think (maybe, don't quote me).

Reactions: Law
A

Annoyed Grunt

These extra credits guys are pretty good at saying completely inane things and making them look like it's actually good information.

S

seanm

MatthewMatosis is also an amazing youtube channel. He just does like 40 min analysis of games and goes super indepth with them.

He has a series on the 3d zeldas, and the 3d marios. I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes plenty of well reasoned and thought out points. If you want to learn how to think more critically about games, I'd give him a look.

alexde5th

How come nobody mentioned Shaun Spalding?? Were his video's unnecessary to the public? His videos, like any other, were a great impact on new comers who wanted to learn GM!

:I

Or simply nobody but me thought of him for this topic in particular.

Ninety

I like Extra Credits. Granted, I don't agree with 100% of their conclusions, but they encourage critical assessment of game design and that's praiseworthy in itself.