Idea Extra Credit's game jam help

Psycho_666

So I watched their live stream... They revealed the theme of the jam - PRESENT... Read that as you wish. Be it gift, current time or presentation or whatever...
I have absolutely no idea what to do with that theme...

Toque

Christmas present is obvious.

I also think of school. Present or missing.

How long is the jam?

Psycho_666

Ok, how about this:
Extremely simple rhyrrh game, parapop style, but with simple WASD movement, LMB and RMB attack and defend commands, just in the rhythm of a Christmas songs, like we wish you a merry Christmas, etc...
You command an army of elfs, you gather PRESENTS and materials for packing them and make them PRESENTABLE.

...?
Any ideas? Feedback?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Why should we be the ones advising you on how to proceed with the design, when YOU are the one competing?

If you can justify your use of the theme and the idea's execution is within your capabilities, just do it already. Looking at the timestamps on this topic, I count 1 work day out of 5 that you wasted on adolescent indecision and needless approval seeking.

Reactions: Yal

Psycho_666

I'm looking for ideas cause I am blank... Even that is an awfull idea, but the theme is so bland I am beyond blank on what to do...
If I had decent ideas I would have been working already...

Toque

Present gift stacking game.
Santa sleigh racing game.

Wrapped presents matching game.

Kid racing to school before teacher takes attendance. “Present”.

Race to store to buy gift before it closes.

Santa drops gifts down chimney.

Smash the present.

Hidden game. Find the present.

Toss presents into the sleigh.

Elf puzzle present game.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Make all of them at once. You time-travel to get objects from other times than the present, then wrap them up as gifts and make a presentation about it to educate them about what they're getting. Getting the stuff would be basic platform levels, the gift wrapping would be pure design (maybe a minigame where you need to put stuff on accurately to boost the PRESENT NICENESS meter, which influences your total score) and the presentation itself would be a MadLibs sequence where you need to type in your own words given prompts like "FAMOUS PERSON" or "HOUSEHOLD OBJECT" and they're inserted into a premade text the player isn't aware of, resulting in hilarious weird text.

Psycho_666

Make all of them at once. You time-travel to get objects from other times than the present, then wrap them up as gifts and make a presentation about it to educate them about what they're getting. Getting the stuff would be basic platform levels, the gift wrapping would be pure design (maybe a minigame where you need to put stuff on accurately to boost the PRESENT NICENESS meter, which influences your total score) and the presentation itself would be a MadLibs sequence where you need to type in your own words given prompts like "FAMOUS PERSON" or "HOUSEHOLD OBJECT" and they're inserted into a premade text the player isn't aware of, resulting in hilarious weird text.
Too late, buddy. The jam ended and most of my Dev time went into sincung the music and the controlls to at least resemble a rhythm game.
The result is fairly poor, but it's my first actually finished game made in 3 days. I'm proud with it. I know how much effort actually went into it...
https://psycho-666.itch.io/the-helpful-elf

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Make that game now, then. It's not like you need a game jam to finish small little experimental games, if you've got a new cool idea you could make it anytime...

Psycho_666

Well, that IS true, but I paused my main project to do something for the jam.
Now that the jam is over I'm back working on my main project.