External Resources, Reasons for Use?

Why should we use external resources, mainly?

Some games seem to load all external resources right after the exe loads up. Wouldn't this take the same amount of time and memory as not using them (what's the point)? I'd understand the reason for loading some and unloading other resources, on a per level basis, to keep memory down, but is there still an advantage for keeping them out of the exe, but loading all of them when the game starts?

Are included files part of the exe, and not external resources?

What type of resources are better to make external resources?

Using external resources on objects you place in the room editor seems like a bad idea as you won't be able to see how things would really look, so is it more for created objects?

Are external resources more trouble than they're worth?

CloseRange

When you go to any other programming language you'll realize that all resources are "external"
It's all about performance and it is well worth it if you plan to make medium to large games.
Here is a good topic on external files.
If you plan to make your game any bigger than a small game like mario it's a good idea to start using external files so you have full control of what is loaded on to memory and what isn't.
This is true if you have big recourse or a bunch of small ones.
You asked if they are more trouble than they're worth but they arn't that much trouble.
Load the sprite.
Use the sprite.
Delete it when you don't need it anymore.
The only trouble comes when newer programmers neglect the power of it and make way more copies of a sprite than needed. This turns the table and instead of helping performance, it just makes it worse....
I was working on a pokemon game a week or so ago and I was using the first 150 pokemon to start with. The sprites are (approximately) 150x150 each with 100 frames of animation. Each have a front sprite, back sprite, front shiny, back shiny, and then all the same with female versions.
Had I not used external files I don't want to imagine how long load time would be. I probably would have ran out of memory first actually.
There are games in the proffesional indestry that use a whole lot more than that aswell. You may never get that big but my point is made. It's also good to get practice thinking like this and using recouses like this.

On a side note I think if you want your game to be moddable you need to use external files. But I might be wrong.

When you go to any other programming language you'll realize that all resources are "external"
It's all about performance and it is well worth it if you plan to make medium to large games.
Here is a good topic on external files.
If you plan to make your game any bigger than a small game like mario it's a good idea to start using external files so you have full control of what is loaded on to memory and what isn't.

Had I not used external files I don't want to imagine how long load time would be. I probably would have ran out of memory first actually.
Is it worth it for a game 16-24 MB in size?

T

Ting_Thing

I use them on a project where the users are able to save their files to the PC.