• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

External Drives convenience

RizbIT

I want to be able to use an SSD on different computers/laptops via USB connection.

But i wanted to know are they really much slower than say SATA connections that internal hard drives use?

I have seen Sandisk Extreme 1050mb/sec but even if the devices read/write speed are really fast isnt it more limited by the speed of the USB connection?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
That depends entirely on the slowest link in the chain. For external hard drives, that's usually the hard drive itself. For external SSDs, probably either the SSD or the connection.

Different USB connections can transfer at different speeds. For example, USB-C can transfer data at up to 10 Gbps, so that's likely not the weakest link there. USB 3.0 is miles slower, and don't even get me started on anything earlier than that.