• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Extensions vs Packages

M

Michael Taylor

Hello,

What is the difference between Extensions and Packages? In GMS2, there is a menu item to create a package, but I can't find any place to create an extension. In the documentation it guides me in how to create an extension, but no where does it say how to create the GMEZ file. Did Create Package replace Create Extension? I want to create a package/extension and test it locally in different projects before I upload it to the marketplace. If I do create package will it upload it right away?

Also, when creating extensions, I can put the GML in a single file with '#define's. In the create project dialog it asks for assets and I can select scripts. Is there a difference between creating a package with an extension with #defined functions and functions defined in scripts?

Thank you,

Michael

csanyk

The two are related concepts. Basically a package is what you create for upload to the Marketplace when you publish an Asset. Purchasing an Asset from the marketplace lets you download the package, which is an Extension that has been packaged for upload to the Marketplace. Extensions are just reusable modules of consisting of codefiles (gml, dll, included files, other project resources, etc.) that may have some GML functions defined (for calling functions in the .gml or .dll file) which can be easily imported into a project/

Extensions: http://docs2.yoyogames.com/source/_build/2_interface/1_editors/extensions.html

Packages: http://docs2.yoyogames.com/source/_build/2_interface/2_tools/marketplace.html

gnysek

Isn't the difference that package can contain all GMS internal resource types ? (fonts/sprites/scripts), while extension mainly have code and included files ?

M

Michael Taylor

Thanks for the links csanyk.

I looked at the Packages link and it looks like when you create a package it immediately uploads it to the marketplace. Is that correct? If so, how to you test a package locally before publishing it?

M

Michael Taylor

Also, the extensions link doesn't say how to actually build the extension to be a GMEZ (I guess that's what it creates). To make the extension, do you just create it in GMS2 and then create the package like listed in the package link?

Thanks for the help.