• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Extension editor changes do not update until file is closed

csanyk

I was working on updating an extension in GMS1.4.1763 today, and discovered that if you have a .gml file in an extension, and open it in editor to work on it, the compiler doesn't receive updates made to the file until the file is closed.

This is unlike most normal code editors in GMS1.x, where you can open a codefile, make changes to it, build/run the game, and see the changes in effect in the running code without having to close the editor window.

This threw me for a loop as I spent hours this afternoon chasing down what seemed like inexplicable bugs that turned out to be due to the codefile not updating because I hadn't closed the editor.

It's also very annoying to have to open file, change code, close file, build, test, re-open code file when doing iterative development. So much nicer if I can just leave the codefile open until I've tested and verified the changes work as intended.

I'd like to suggest that YYG change the behavior of the extension code editor so that it works consistently with how the code editor works in scripts or in execute code commands, and have changes made to the code take effect when the project is compiled, without requiring the codefile to be closed in order to commit the changes.

csanyk

I also just submitted another bug report for another issue with the code editor: When you are editing the codefile in an extension, the IDE will allow you to open multiple instances of the code editor -- this can lead to trouble in short order when changes made in the first instance are overwritten by changes made in the second...