• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Export Java

Y

yakmoon

is it impossible for yoyo developers to implement Java exporting module?
I can imagine the thousands of new gms users that will rush to buy gms if it only had the Java export.
some people might come here and ask what is the use of exporting Java? some might mentions some Negatives.
I assure you, if it was possible to export Java the benefits would be beyond expectations.
here are somethings that I knw in advance:
1- I knw that Java is a language, and its almost impossible to convert languages if gms was using another language as a base language.
2- I knw that its against yoyo policy to implement Java for profit issues (which I disagree with).
3- I am almost positive that gms either uses C/C+/C++/C# or Java as a base language, gml is just an illusion.
4- I knw if there would be Java there won't be a need for the other modules.

please give ur feedback on this idea. specially if what I am asking is ur wish for 2017.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We already export to JavaScript making it fully web compatible, and the rest of the platforms are dealt natively with each export module. There is zero need to export to something that's supposidly cross platform, when we already do cross platform much better in any case. This is not in out plans.

From a personal viewpoint.... having used Java for years - including very low level VM usage, it's a horrible horrible language. Slow, packaging is badly implemented and the continual updates makes maintenance a nightmare, and a horrible experience for end users. If I never touch it again, it would be too soon. :)

Posh Indie

That Guy
I am very curious about your avoidance of the letter "o" in the word "know" because the key is obviously not broken. I see many occurrences of the letter everywhere else.

Regardless, they already have exporters that export to native code, so I fail to see the benefit of turning this into a glorified RPG Maker MV (We all know how well the "one size fits all" approach worked there).

This is not on my 2017 wishlist. I would like them to continue making forward progress, not backward. I also cannot see the exporting of Java to be a game changer. Anyone that wants exported Java is probably more inclined to just use Java from the start.

I would like a citation on the claimed knowledge that the only reason YoYo Games refuses to use Java is because of profitability alone.

Last edited:

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
lol, this reminded me of G-Java. Hah...
No one else? Okay then... *walk away*

Coded Games

The only reason I'd see the need for a Java export would be to make games for the web, in 2008. If you want to make a native app, using other languages is better. If you want to make a game for the web, HTML5/Javascript is infinitely better. Plus most modern web browsers don't even support Java anymore.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The only worthwhile way to export Java at the moment is to Android, which is already in the works.

Anything that involves applets or JVM-driven desktop applications is a waste of YoYo's time. They're either obsolete for modern use or already covered by native C++/C# code that do the job better. Java's promise as a WORA language has been dead in end-user contexts for almost a decade.