• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Export GM:S 1 project to Android?

Hi,

I have been absent from GM:S a long time (6-12 months). I just recently got around to start using GM:S 2, and was able to import a GM:S1 project. It seems to work fine on Windows, which is promising.

Now, I will need to update this game on both Google Play & App Store. I was planning on focusing on Google Play first, since that is usually a less trouble-ridden procedure.

I found where to setup the Android settings (preferences/platform settings/android) BUT, can someone please tell me how I deal with the keystore file properly, since that part is very crucial for updates? Can I just somehow link to the keystore file the same way I do in GM:S1? I don't want to accidentally render it useless/overwrite it or something by hitting the wrong button or the like.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Hi,

I have been absent from GM:S a long time (6-12 months). I just recently got around to start using GM:S 2, and was able to import a GM:S1 project. It seems to work fine on Windows, which is promising.

Now, I will need to update this game on both Google Play & App Store. I was planning on focusing on Google Play first, since that is usually a less trouble-ridden procedure.

I found where to setup the Android settings (preferences/platform settings/android) BUT, can someone please tell me how I deal with the keystore file properly, since that part is very crucial for updates? Can I just somehow link to the keystore file the same way I do in GM:S1? I don't want to accidentally render it useless/overwrite it or something by hitting the wrong button or the like.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Well hopefully you have multiple backups of that keystore file for your existing games and aren’t just rocking with a single one, so that if anything does go wrong you have backups and it’s not a problem, right? RIGHT?

You should just be able to hit the import button on the keystore dialog to have your existing key imported and ready to use.

Scroll down this guide for info on creating a new one where the screenshots show there is an Import button on the dialog window to import existing keys:
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001368727-Setting-Up-For-Android

Like I said, if anything does go wrong you have multiple backups of that key you are using anyway, so it shouldn’t be an issue. Right!? ;)

Hi!

Of course I have backups of my keystore file. I am well aware that in case it's lost, I won't be able to update any of my existing apps. =)

Ok, so I hit the "import"-button, and the filename-field now shows the destination to said file. What do I do next? The other fields (common name/password/alias/etc) does not show any changes. Do I need to type these manually?
After that, what do I do? Do I need to hit "generate keystore," or is that a big no-no?

Well hopefully you have multiple backups of that keystore file for your existing games and aren’t just rocking with a single one, so that if anything does go wrong you have backups and it’s not a problem, right? RIGHT?

You should just be able to hit the import button on the keystore dialog to have your existing key imported and ready to use.

Scroll down this guide for info on creating a new one where the screenshots show there is an Import button on the dialog window to import existing keys:
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001368727-Setting-Up-For-Android

Like I said, if anything does go wrong you have multiple backups of that key you are using anyway, so it shouldn’t be an issue. Right!? ;)

OK, followed the steps in the guide. Copy-pasted the info in the fields from the ones in GM:S1 and hit "apply." Hopefully it'll work.

rIKmAN

OK, followed the steps in the guide. Copy-pasted the info in the fields from the ones in GM:S1 and hit "apply." Hopefully it'll work.
Sorry I missed your last post as I didn't get any notification cos you didn't reply or quote etc.

Yeah import the key, fill in your information then hit the Show Hash Key button and it should fill in your hash and SHA-1 if the info was correct.
Then hit Apply and OK and you should be good to go.

Sorry I missed your last post as I didn't get any notification cos you didn't reply or quote etc.

Yeah import the key, fill in your information then hit the Show Hash Key button and it should fill in your hash and SHA-1 if the info was correct.
Then hit Apply and OK and you should be good to go.
Ok, got it.
Quick question: the filename field in GM:S2 shows the URL to the file, whereas the same field in GM:S1 just shows a name. Will this cause a problem, or is it like it's supposed to be?