• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Portfolio - Programming Experienced Programmer (7 years of GML) and Game Designer for hire

R

Rebusmind

Hi everyone,

my name is Constantin, but in the gaming world I’m probably more known (or less unknown) as Rebusmind.
I’ve started working with Game Maker (7) in 2009 and since then created several mobile games, PC games, and now even console/handheld games.

Background
A few sentences about where I come from.
My first coding experience I got with the TI-83 graphical calculator, writing text adventures with some images I drew pixel by pixel on the device. Let’s say my interest was sparked and I soon found out about the RPG-Maker and as I’m a big RPG fan I spent many hours making weird stories in it.
I then studied Computational Visualistics. While doing a mandatory internship at a big game company, I finally discovered Game Maker 7. I immediately felt like this is the game engine I’ve been looking for, taking out all the pesky low-level programming, but still giving enough freedom to make any game in any genre (at least in 2D and to some extend in 3D).
As you might have guessed, I stuck with it and since Game Maker: Studio I have been producing several complete games for various devices.

Skills
What I’m good at:
  • Systems: when starting a new project I really like to plan what needs to be set up in order to have a working core. This includes data structures, game state management, scripts for the most important functions, etc. The better the ground work of the project is laid out, the less problems you will get later on.
  • Clean Code: this is especially important when working with a team. I comment my code so that every function or block is easily understandable for me and others.
  • Fast prototyping: sometimes quick (and a bit dirty) is a good way to see if a concept or a specific idea works. The years I’ve spent coding in Game Maker has made me quite fast in building setups for different genres.
What I don’t have much experience with:
  • Network coding
  • 3D programming
  • Shader programming
  • Extension programming
Games
Here’s a litte info about the games I released so far (doesn’t include game jam games):

Dot. (Twin-Stick-Shooter for iOS & Android)
Description: Dot. is a fairly minimalist shooter game where you are a blue dot, shooting red dots. When you get hit by an enemy, you shrink in size, which makes you faster but also brings you closer to death. Killed enemies leave blue pellets that, if collected, make your dot bigger again.
Role: I did everything except for the music.
Trailer: Link
Screenshot:

Hungry for Blocks
(Puzzle game for Android)
Description: In Hungry for Blocks you play a circular version of Tetris with one big difference: by completing lines (or in this case circles) you feed a little creature called Smilo. Your goal is to keep him happy by feeding him many blocks. This also unlocks several abilities like freezing time or destroying blocks with lightning.
Role: I did everything except for the music and some sound effects.
Trailer:
Screenshot:

Santa’s Quest (Physics-Platformer for iOS, Android & PC)
Description: Santa’s Quest is a physics platformer with a Christmas theme. You play as a bouncy Santa, rolling through the snow and trying to find all the presents scattered through the levels. There are 24 levels, one for each day of December (up to Christmas). Completing a level with all presents unlocks a collectible jigsaw puzzle piece.
Role: I did everything except for the music and the voice samples. I also outsourced one artwork.
Trailer:
Screenshot:

n-Back Challenge (Puzzle game for Android)
Description: This was a contractual work. n-Back Challenge is a brain training game in which you have to memorize the shape, color and position of several elements over a number of rounds. In the 2-Back mode you have to compare the current element with the one two rounds before and if they have something in common press the right button. There’s also statistics to show you your progress.
Role: I did everything except for the game concept and music. A lot of the art was from free assets.
Trailer:
Screenshot:

ScapeGhost (Platformer for Windows 8, 3rd prize in YoYo Games Win Big Competition)
Description: ScapeGhost is a dark platformer, in which you play two parts of one character at the same time. With the keyboard you control the protagonist’s body, jumping over obstacles while also avoiding many deadly traps. With the mouse you control the ghostly head, which also serves as a platform or something to bounce off of. Each level has several collectibles, unlocking new levels if you get everything.
Role: I did everything except for the music.
Trailer:
Screenshot:

SwapQuest (Puzzle-RPG for iOS, Android, PlayStation Vita & PS4/XboxOne (still in the works), won the Develop Indie Showcase and was nominated for several awards)
Description: SwapQuest is my biggest project so far and it is still not done. It’s a puzzle-RPG in which you swap around road tiles in order to build a consecutive path for your character. On your way you fight many different enemies (and even boss fights), collect jewels and avoid getting caught by the Horde which is chasing you. For your jewels you get new equipment, upgrade your abilities or enchant your weapons and armor. To top it all of, there are five different character classes which unique stats and abilities.
Role: In this project I did everything except for the art and the music.
Trailer:
Screenshot:

Modules
I have the Master edition of Game Maker: Studio, which means that I have all the modules needed for exporting. These are:
  • PC: Windows (7, 8, 10), Mac, Linux
  • Mobile: iOS, Android, Tizen, Windows Phone 8
  • Console: PlayStation Vita, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
  • Browser: HTML5
Working Together
I’ll gladly work on projects of any size, as long as the work is paid. There may be special cases where I accept a revenue share, but in general I take between 10-20€ per hour (approx. $11.24-22.48) depending on the complexity of the project.
In addition to coding work I also offer mentoring for those who want to learn Game Maker or need help with their concept/game design.
If you are unsure whether I’m the right guy for your project, don’t hesitate to get in touch and ask, I will definitely answer.

Contact
Just write a private message and I’ll give you my email/Skype.

Last edited by a moderator: