• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Expansion files for Google Play Store Issue, Missing MP4?

Zato

Hey Folks,

I have an app in alpha testing in the Google Play store and I have an issue I need to fix before I can publish. I am wondering if anybody has a solution or has run into this problem? This could be a programming issue and if so I know I’ll need to post on that forum, but right now I honestly don’t know? My app has large video files and HD graphics so, long story short it won’t be under 150mb. So yes, I had to do the unthinkable and submit an old fashion apk with an expansion file instead of the newer aab format. The good news is I was not blocked from rollout. I was able to release to Alpha and it looks like I can publish when ready, but my issue is with the video files loading.

I am using the awesome extension asset by Taylor Dale (Video Player - Native Android). The MP4 files are added as “Included Files” in GMS 2.2.4.372. If I generate an apk and sideload then it works fine with the videos playing. But when I submit it to the Play store with the added content in the zipped expansion and download the alpha from Google Play the videos seem to be inaccessible within the app and it just gives me the standard gray play screen you get when the video is not found. So, I figure this is just a file path issue? But I have no idea what I need to change the file path to if that is the case? Inside the generated expansion zip GMS2 puts the MP4 files into an assets folder along with the game.droid file and it seems the game.droid file contains all the HD images and sound files. All those files are coming up fine, images are good and sounds are playing.

So I suspect I need to just correct the video load file path like in the line below:
video_load("path/to/video.mp4");

The problem is what should I correct the path to if indeed that is the problem? Anybody here used expansion files and had to do this?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!!!!!!

Oh, and to answer before anyone asks, yes, I cannot get my app any smaller and release it as an aab, in fact after I add all the content to it the size will be over 1gb. Or in this case, the expansion will be over 1gb but the apk is only around 14mb. Also, setting up to access the video files from somewhere I host is a whole other mess I would like to avoid. And honestly, that would not function well in the app. If Google ever adds expansion support to aab or updates the content limit to 2gb like the way it is now for expansions that would be AWESOME, but I am hoping to get the app out there now. :(

Attachments

Zato

Hey folks,

So it seems someone found a solution to this very issue. It was something to do with copying the file after game launch ie when the game loads, use the copy function to copy a file from the expansion ie file_copy('video.mp4', 'tmp/video.mp4') and then playback the tmp/video.mp4 file. I have not found any more details on how this is implemented in code?

I also found in researching android apps for the Play Store in general that you need to make the path <shared-storage>/Android/obb/<package-name>/assets/ now how I get the path in GMS2 I have not figured out. The <shared-storage> I believe will change depending on if they have a card in their device or not. And <package-name> changes every time I update the version number.

I found some interesting stuff here on reading expansions but unfortunately, it is a bit above my head and I don't know how to correlate that to GMS2: https://developer.android.com/google/play/expansion-files.html#ZipLib

I was able to publish a smaller version of the app I was working on with the expansion working with the HD graphics in it, but of course I still can't include working video in the expansion file. If anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it!