Legacy GM Execution skips lines? [Solvedish]

Tsa05

Could a more sane person help me spot whatever is causing this?

Stepping through the function:
http://screencast.com/t/lvfILM4LY

Note that down at the end, retval is equal to empty string, and instead of skipping the code block, GameMaker jumps part-way into it???

Edit:
Have determined the cause!

Last edited:
R

rui.rosario

None of those internal blocks where you modify the retval is executing?

jo-thijs

So, you're saying that line is actually executed?
What happens when you don't set retval to an empty string there, but set it to some other value instead?
And what happens when you use "Step over" instead of "Step in"?
And what happens when you put show_message(""); below the retval = ""; ?

Tsa05

Worked out the issue, and it was a little odd. As expected, error on my part. Also, visual trickery by the debugger.

In all cases, retval was not modified. Using values other than "" resulted in the exact same behavior. Using show_debug_message after every other line of code exhibited the same behavior. Here's what went on:

I was so intent on resetting position p in cases where retval did not evaluate to "" that I neglected to un-set p in cases where retval *does* evaluate to "". Since p is still holding the value of the previous string_pos, the loop was continuing to execute.

The primary reason for the confusion was actually a red herring. Tracing the code to follow the value of p, I came across the weird jumping behavior I showed above. It appeared that the code was skipping a line that resets the value of p, leading me to believe that the error with p's value came from that. In reality, this appears to be just a quirky, odd way that the debugger shows that it has hit the end of a looping code block.

Testing on other code blocks, the debugger visually jumps to the last line of code before the }'s that end a loop, even if that line is inside a code block that isn't being executed. (And then it jumps back to the top of the loop. If the exit condition is true, it then skips the loop.)

Fun times :) For a brief, crazy moment there, it seemed that all of my loops had started to break!