GMS 2 Execute script with variable

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Mael, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Mael

Mael Member

Hello everyone!
    I have a small problem in my mobile project. I created a button that should lead to the next level. All the level atributes are saved in scripts: scr_level1 , scr_level2 , scr_level 3 and so on. So in the button I added these lines:

// this button is in rm_game
    //when button is pressed/released
    nextLevel = global.actualLevel + 1; // this global variable is set when the level script is executed
    script = "scr_level"+string(nextLevel);
    script_execute(script);
    room_goto(rm_game);

With this I would expect this for example: I open level 1. scr_level1 loads all the settings. global.actualLevel = 1 now.
    When the button appears and you click it, nextLevel = 1 + 1. Then script = "scr_level"+"2". script_execute(scr_level2); room_goto(rm_game);

But instead I get this crash message:

############################################################################################
    FATAL ERROR in
    action number 1
    of Mouse Event for Left Released
    for object obj_nextLevel:
    (null) argument 1 incorrect type (string) expecting a Number (YYGI32)
    at gml_Object_obj_nextLevel_Mouse_7 (line 4) - script_execute(script);
    ############################################################################################
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    stack frame is
    gml_Object_obj_nextLevel_Mouse_7 (line 4)

How can I resolve the problem? I dont want to create different buttons for each level.
    Thank you for your time. :)

2. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

script_execute takes script IDs, not names. So you'd need to use asset_get_index() to find the ID.

Mael likes this.
  3. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

use script = asset_get_index("scr_level"+"2") instead of script = "scr_level"+"2"

The string "scr_level2" is different from the ID scr_level2, which is a number like 27 by the time you're running the game.

Mael likes this.
  4. Mael

Mael Member

Thank you very much, it worked! I would never had gotten it correct. Have a nice day :)