• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Exe Icon not showing

kupo15

When I compile my game with a custom icon, how come sometimes the icon is displayed and other times it doesn't? This is what I see when it doesn't display properly

I have to re compile when this happens and hope that it actually works

R

Rafsun82

Maybe that unexpected icon is one of the subimages of the icon file?

jimaroonie

Hey, I've been messing around with this forever and there's no rhyme nor reason as far as I can deduce. Some tips though:
  1. Definitely ensure your .ico file has multiple resolutions in it. Create one using something like https://www.icoconverter.com/ and use your Windows (10) view settings to see if it appears correctly using different display modes (e.g. large icons, extra large icons etc.).
  2. When exporting, try different folder destinations for sure. I was saving to the project root folder and always would see the default icon (as pictured by the OP) instead of mine in everything other than Context display mode. In the end, I just saved to my D: drive. Copying my .exe into the project file still shows it as a default icon though. Maybe this is some Windows 10 way of indexing icons but it's bloody annoying.
  3. Don't spend too much time trying to work it out. If anyone has any clear instructions here, please, let us all know.

2Dcube

Also try right-click -> refresh after compiling. Sometimes Windows just hasn't updated the icon in my experience.