• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows EXE doesn't start when Steam Enable

saga55555

Hi everyone, I have a problem with Steam enable option. First I create full game on steam and it's work fine.
Then I want to create a demo version with all same method, add steam ID, steam enable and SDK150. But this EXE demo can't start game with steam online (it show fast blink like steam open and nothing after that).
This demo can start in debug mode and EXE can start if disable "steam enable". But I noticed that if I changed SDK path C:\steamworks_sdk_150\sdk to C:\steamworks_sdk_150 , full game will get error when create EXE because can't find SDK while demo isn't and success to create EXE . . . that can't start. I using GMS 2.2.0.343

So what is the problem or culprit in this condition? Thank you :D

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
A few problems here.
You're using the wrong SDK version, GMS2 only supports 1.42, so 1.50 won't work with it properly.
Also, if you do build a game with Steam enabled, running the EXE will launch the version downloaded via Steam client, not the version you just built.

O.Stogden

Your Steam account cannot run a demo of a game you own I believe. At least not through Steam itself (You can't have both a demo and a full version of a game on Steam). Given that you are a developer of the game, your Steam account likely already "owns" the full version of your game, so you can't install the demo via Steam.

You should make a 2nd, clean test account for Steam. And then redeem a Steam key for the Demo of your game, that way you can test how the demo will work on a fresh install on a PC that's never had the full version on it. Ideally you'd use another computer as well, away from your development environment.

Also, you are using GMS 2.2.0, that is quite out of date. You should be using at least 2.2.5 by now.

saga55555

Your Steam account cannot run a demo of a game you own I believe. At least not through Steam itself (You can't have both a demo and a full version of a game on Steam). Given that you are a developer of the game, your Steam account likely already "owns" the full version of your game, so you can't install the demo via Steam.

You should make a 2nd, clean test account for Steam. And then redeem a Steam key for the Demo of your game, that way you can test how the demo will work on a fresh install on a PC that's never had the full version on it. Ideally you'd use another computer as well, away from your development environment.

Also, you are using GMS 2.2.0, that is quite out of date. You should be using at least 2.2.5 by now.
Oh! so I can test only one full or demo build on steam? Is this normally happen on all engines or only GMS?
Also thank you very much for your comment :D

O.Stogden

This is for all games on Steam.

Steam doesn't allow you to own a demo of a game you already own the full version of, there would normally be no reason for someone to play a demo of a game they own.

So it's best to make a 2nd account and put the demo on that account, then you can use the 2nd account for testing the demo.