• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo Evobeasts: Creature Capture Adventure

S

Street Gaming

---EVOBEASTS---
(See UPDATE below for DEMO information)
Evobeasts is a creature capture adventure game. We grew up playing games like Dragon Warrior Monster, Pokemon, and Digimon, and wanted to put our own, unique spin on the genre.

The name of the game in Evobeasts is choices, and each choice you make will have long reaching impacts on the game you play. Right at the start, you choose one of two companions and that in turn affects which Evobeasts you'll run into through out the game.
The basic premise is that you are a kid who ventures out into the world with nothing more than a walking stick and his Evobeast companion. Unlike many other creature capture games, you battle along side your Evobeasts, learn spells, and collect equipment. The story is relatively open, and we wanted to emphasize exploration more than anything.

While we don't have an open demo at the moment, we are slowly rolling out keys to get people's opinions before our formal release. Check back here often for keys!

Thanks,
The Evobeasts Team

UPDATE: DEMO​
Here's a link to our demo on GameJolt.

http://gamejolt.com/games/evobeasts/224450

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Street Gaming

It looks like a nice mix between pokemon and old-school jrpg. Im looking forward to the demo. :)
Thanks! That's the feel we were shooting for, so it's great that it's coming across that way.

Is the movement fixed on a grid, or 8 directions?
It will be 4 direction / grid based.

S

Street Gaming

Here are two videos of the combat for your enjoyment.

S

Street Gaming

We're trying to roll out our demo in small waves so that we can have the game as polished as possible before we do our public demo. Here are five keys to download the game on gamejolt. If you take one, please tell us here what you think, ways we can improve, things you like, and any bugs you might find.

Thanks,
The Evobeasts Team

https://gamejolt.com/claim/ZfDDnx9a - claimed
https://gamejolt.com/claim/W2LCLuPZ
https://gamejolt.com/claim/uAUisAEn
https://gamejolt.com/claim/tBzGsEk3
https://gamejolt.com/claim/xun6w6Ba

T

Torball

Alright, so I have taken one of the demo keys, and I tried it for about 20 minutes. I have to say it is quite an enjoyable game, and I got a lot of vibes of Pokémon. I like the way the combat works, it's pretty self-explanatory. It's cool that you can fight with your Evobeasts, as well. Now, as for things I think could use some improvement, I believe the battle speed could be increased a little, or at least be made so that holding the action button would quicken the actions. Also, as soon as I entered the overworld, I felt a bit overwhelmed with everything that was going on at once :D That's just me, though. Idk if I encountered any bugs aside from when I entered that room inside the clinic, and it took me to that little world with the old man. I could walk all through the house there. Other than that, I found the demo to be solid and fun, and I'll play and report more once I get the time to.

S

Street Gaming

Alright, so I have taken one of the demo keys, and I tried it for about 20 minutes. I have to say it is quite an enjoyable game, and I got a lot of vibes of Pokémon. I like the way the combat works, it's pretty self-explanatory. It's cool that you can fight with your Evobeasts, as well. Now, as for things I think could use some improvement, I believe the battle speed could be increased a little, or at least be made so that holding the action button would quicken the actions. Also, as soon as I entered the overworld, I felt a bit overwhelmed with everything that was going on at once :D That's just me, though. Idk if I encountered any bugs aside from when I entered that room inside the clinic, and it took me to that little world with the old man. I could walk all through the house there. Other than that, I found the demo to be solid and fun, and I'll play and report more once I get the time to.
Thanks for the feedback! We'll explore ways to make the overworld a little less noisy right out of the gate. The house is something we haven't added yet. The vision is it will be a place for you to go to and do all of the crafting in the game, but the crafting feature isn't ready for testing atm. We'll also work on making the battle a little quicker.

Really glad you enjoyed it and look forward to whatever else you find that you like or that we can improve on.

Tryin Ryan

Very fun demo. Really hoping to see more of it soon. I'll be following. I grew up on Pokemon, so I'm definitely interested in this game.

Q

Quailfail

Ooooh my goodness! Monster raising games are one of my favourite genres! In 3 weeks I'll have the free time to give it the attention it deserves. (●♡∀♡)

O

Oyakiiv

Love it, though I feel as if there are mechanics that could be explained (ex. attack types not having an explanation, such as in pokemon fire is good against grass)

and the respawn rate on enemies is crazy high! I love that you can see the monsters moving around but they spawn right on top of you!

so yeah, love it, lots of potential!

Q

Quailfail

Alright, finally had a chance to play it! While it's clearly still in early development I am enjoying it very much and look forward to seeing what more you will be doing with it. Others have already mentioned some things that I feel need expanding on, but I think explaining battle mechanics and move/item description would be the most helpful for any newcomers who decide to try out your demo.

Also wish to add- the font chosen is very easy to read in small screen but in full window it's rather difficult.