GMC Jam Everything's Gone to Hell!

TehPilot

The apocalypse came too suddenly for Lucifer, who's a little backed up with the proper paperwork. Without the documentation certifying virtuousness in place, the former residents of Earth have nowhere to go but down. Since you've graciously arrived first, the Devil himself makes a great deal with you: help him sort out this mess, and you'll be the first to go where you rightfully belong.

What is this game?
Everything's Gone To Hell is a humorous side-perspective platformer/top-down puzzle game. Each level tasks you with bringing stacks of paperwork to a demonic assistant, who will then allow you to progress further through the dungeons of the underworld. A few basic puzzles separate you from paperwork - and by extension, your salvation. This game was created for the GMC Jam #1, where it took home the honors of First Place and Best Use of Theme (Everybody is Dead). You can check out the original entry post here.

Huge thanks to @TheFugue for his hard work on the audio design.

How do I play it?
Download and run the single-executable file linked below. Compatible with Windows only.

DOWNLOAD (v1.3p2) - 17.0mb
MD5: A14188AB3AC9EDF70B90A8AFD67C1F94

v1.3p2
- Lucifer's last dialogue line is now present at the end
- Fixed a few more cases of wonky lighting, notably in Level 1
- Holding [Z] during the introduction's explosion lets you skip introductory dialogue
- Made the four-unit jump in Level 7 three units (easier, more forgiving)

v1.3 (distributed to select reviewers only)
- Fixed disabling lighting (now properly stops allocation of surface memory)

v1.2 (unreleased)
- Fixed a missing wall in Level 4 that let the player go out of bounds
- Fixed some weird lighting and tiling in Level 6
- [Escape] now quits the game at all times
- Apparently fixed the surface issue? Cannot reproduce
- Paperwork is now sent back to the player's start location when it hits a satanic circle

v1.1
- Initial release (game jam version)

How do I get past Level 6?
Watch this video for a full walkthrough of Level 6.

Will there be any future additions or changes?
Unlikely, unless a bug comes up. I may add a few extra levels and a level select if it's highly requested. Although the game is very short and simplistic, I feel it's complete and has charm of its own - especially for a game jam entry.

The next major change I am considering is alternate keybinds for people with non-QWERTY keyboards, as [Z] and [X] may be an issue for those folks.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Congrats on the First Place win! It was certainly deserved, as this is an excellent game.

It's a wonderful design with perfect execution. What can I say? "bah bha hahaa baa?" Seriously funny dialog. Reminded me of the school teacher's voice in the Charlie Brown television specials. (but satanic) :p

Everything about this seems quite polished. From the opening menu with the various options, to the controls, to the scene transition effects (loved that effect), spooky lighting and shadow effects. The graphics in general are well done. The game has a fun visual environment.

But most importantly, the gameplay itself was great fun. The puzzles get challenging, but the difficulty level starts easy and increases at the right speed. (I'm not going to admit how poorly I've done so far...)

Anyway, I'm glad to see this posted here. I expect you'll be posting on other game dev forums too. So good luck with this.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder

Was cool!

I think there's some major learning obstacles for things like level 6 (as I'm sure you're probably now aware!) but it has all round great game feel and look.

Good job.

J

JealousOfCrows

This game was great. So simple, effective and polished. Even the player animation looked great for how simple it is. I would love to know how you made that transition effect ;)
I am just learning shaders, and I assume its a shader that makes everything kind of bend around and leave a trail right?

Level 6 was confusing because I tried running through the door as the bars were coming down on previously levels (which doesn't work) so I assumed you couldn't throw the paper through them when that was happening either. After I learned you could it was simple! Great job TehPilot!

D

Dr Sunnyside

Brilliant idea and concept. Will give this a try later.

F

Forgeio

Great game! I figured out the puzzle in level 6 really quickly on accident, if I hadn't moved forward I would have been there FOREVER trying to figure it out ;)