• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED Every time I delete a track in a sequence, I get a warning that GMS2 has become unstable.

rIKmAN

I've been using sequences all night and have been deleting tracks without any issues, but I'm using the latest beta version of the Windows IDE so it may have been in issue an stable that has since been fixed.

There are a few fixes related to the IDE becoming unstable and to sequences in general in the Beta Release Notes but nothing directly related to simply deleting a sequence and as I said I've been deleting tracks quite often tonight.

Are you using the Windows or Mac IDE?
Can you download the latest beta and test that to see if it fixes your issue?

If it does then it'll come to stable eventually but would solve your issue while waiting for that.

Roldy

I have gotten that message a few times doing different things in the sequence editor. I have been too lazy to put serious effort to come up with reproduction steps.

couple times it has happened:
  • trying to add a function to a seqeunce event and clicking the 'goto code' button
  • changing the length of the sequence in the text input box to be different than the dope sheet
But those have been intermittent.

I have no idea if the bug (possibly multiple bugs) is known or not. However if you have steps to reproduce it then post a bug report and it will then be known.

*prepares to punch @Nobody in the face if he comes in here asking why I am suggesting making bug reports*

Last edited:

rIKmAN

*prepares to punch @Nobody in the face if he comes in here asking why I am suggesting making bug reports*
Haha, as long as they check the Beta Release Notes to see if it's been fixed and check the "Known Issues" list shown while submitting a bug report and it's not found in either - then feel free to file away imo.

Just sending bug reports without checking those first just wastes peoples time, but a lot of people seem to believe that "the more reports they get the quicker it'll get fixed" which isn't true - and advise people to report anything and everything even when it's on the Known Issues list which has a big note at the top of it saying "If your bug is here then please don't report it!".

Roldy

which has a big note at the top of it saying "If your bug is here then please don't report it!".
Well.. that is part of submitting a bug report. To see the known issues you would have to:
  • Go to the contact page
  • Login
  • Choose the problem areas from the drop downs
  • See the known issues list
Either:
  • OP did that, didn't see it, and decided to make this post
  • OP will do that when going through the steps
  • OP shrugs and walks away
As far as sending in duplicate reports... YoYo chose to get more duplicates when they made the bug database private. So it can't be that big of a problem for them. Seeing as the 'Known issues' is about 10 items long I think it is safe to assume there are many more Known Issues a user simply has no reliable way of divining, and duplicate reports come in heaps. I imagine their bigger problem is lack of reports (there are way more unknown problems than known problems) and lack of man power to deal with them. We can only help with one of those.

gkri

I cannot reproduce it into a new project. Maybe my current WIP project is flirting with corruption... šŸ˜“

Chaser

Check your storage GB. I got a hell of a lot of crashes, and ā€˜gamemaker has become unstableā€™ followed by a txt box with red writing. I only had like 4 GB left in my storage and since I deleted a lot of stuff, which gave me back about 10GB, I havenā€™t had an error like that since.(touches wood).i was using a large texture surface.:) helped me, might help you.

gkri

Check your storage GB. I got a hell of a lot of crashes, and ā€˜gamemaker has become unstableā€™ followed by a txt box with red writing. I only had like 4 GB left in my storage and since I deleted a lot of stuff, which gave me back about 10GB, I havenā€™t had an error like that since.(touches wood).i was using a large texture surface.:) helped me, might help you.
I have more than 200GB free storage, fortunately I managed to get rid of those warnings for now... I exported the project and re-imported in a new empty project....

rIKmAN

@Roldy My reply wasn't directed at you, OP or this issue in particular, it was more a general observation.
The Known Issues list is shown before you have to enter any data about the bug and it takes a few seconds to login, searching the forum and scanning the Beta Release Notes can all be done in a couple of minutes so are hardly a preventative barrier to research an issue before reporting it.

Obviously there are more bugs than appear on the list otherwise it'd just be the bug database in list form, it's likely the ones that they've already had a mass of people report and so don't need or want any more tickets on because they have enough info and it takes time to wade through duplicates, but people don't check and report them anyway or are advised by people to report them even if known about because of the "more dupes = quicker fix" myth.

Not doing a quick forum search, glancing at the release notes and checking the Known Issues list before submitting a report just wastes peoples time, but then people also moan about how slow support is - well no sh*t it's slower than it could be - they've just spent the morning having to reply to 50 more people blindly reporting that <insert bug here> (which was fixed multiple betas ago + is listed in the release notes + is noted in the forum thread) and now it's early afternoon. It all adds up.

As I said it wasn't a direct reply to you, OP or this specific issue, just an observation at the lack of effort to research an issue before throwing in another report that will do neither party any good. It reminds me of people who write a paragraph on here/reddit/wherever and then wait hours for replies when typing a sentence into Google would get them an answer in seconds.

@gkri Did you try the original offending project in the latest beta and did it make any difference?

gkri

@gkri Did you try the original offending project in the latest beta and did it make any difference?
To be honest, no... I am currently working on 2 projects (the mobile game and a youtube video), so I did not managed to do it yet...

gkri

No worries, if you get around to it please update this post, but if the new project is working now then all good! šŸ‘
I updated to the latest stable release, which was the beta when I started this thread. I tried the problematic project (prior exporting that solved my issue) and it has exactly the same problem.

This is just an update, not a post to re-open this issue...