• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Every project I compile has a memory leak

erohz

Hi, first time posting :)
I've been working on a project for some time now (a Twitch Plays game which is running 24/7), and recently (about 1 month ago) I noticed that the PC's memory usage was growing until it completely froze.
I've dealt with memory leaks a few times before, and this is not the typical case, since the game was not experiencing FPS loss or any negative effect until 99%+ of the memory was used. After checking code and doing some tests with the debugger I could not find anything wrong and so I decided to create a new project and run it just to prove to myself there had to be something I was missing, and to my surprise, a 400x400 room with a single object drawing "Test" was eating up memory over time too, at a similar (if not the same) speed. If I open 2 or more instances of the executable,all of them eat memory too, making it even faster to collapse.

The only thing I can possibly think of that could be suspicious is a set of scripts I downloaded from the official Marketplace to save some time dealing with networking stuff. Maybe those files were infected and now every project I compile is infected too? I have no idea, I only know that even a 'blank' project is causing a memory leak and so is everything that I compile.
I also tried changing the runtime version to older ones (as I was not getting any leak before) but same result.
It is worth noting that the leak is pretty small, and the MB numbers on the Task Manager do not increase, only the Memory %.

Please let me know if I should attach the "Test" project and/or executable but I wouldn't like to risk infecting anyone so I won't attach it for now.

Thanks in advance!

Additional Information:
IDE v2.3.5.589 Runtime 2.3.5.458
Packaging the executable as ZIP

erohz

This issue seems fixed with the latest GMS version (v2.3.7).
I'd assume it was this bug:
  • In-Game: [Windows] Fixed a memory leak for window "handles" which caused their count to keep increasing.
Thanks for the fix!