• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Evening all...first impressions

A

ArcadeVeteran

Hi everyone,

First post! I installed GM Studio last week and have been tinkering ever since...
Took a while to get to grips with the concepts, but after a few days of tinkering I have a game!

I was going to post the entire project here somewhere, is this possible? Literally the entire folder for other people to look at and play with. I've checked out the Projects area, it's a complete game, but I suppose i want it to be more of a WIP/Tutorial.
I'd like to post the whole thing as an example of what you can do with the Trial version of GM Studio 2 (managed to cram an old-school arcade-style shooter into 15 objects!)

Cheers all and happy coding!
AV

Binsk

Welcome to the forums, Arcade! It is always nice to see new and enthusiastic programmers.

Your best bet as to where to make a post about your game would probably be in the WIP or Made With GameMaker forum, then. As a hint, if you are deciding to distribute the actual source of your project, export it as a GMZ via the file menu. This way you can pass around a single file rather than a folder.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Your best bet as to where to make a post about your game would probably be in the WIP or Made With GameMaker forum, then. As a hint, if you are deciding to distribute the actual source of your project, export it as a GMZ via the file menu. This way you can pass around a single file rather than a folder.
On that bit, I can't remember if the trial version allows exporting GMZ YYZ, but it certainly doesn't allow to import them. A slightly strange limitation, considering that YYZ is still based on 7z and the user can just unpack the archive and all that. Maybe it's to save self from having to display various "too many things for trial version" dialogues.

Binsk

On that bit, I can't remember if the trial version allows exporting GMZ YYZ, but it certainly doesn't allow to import them. A slightly strange limitation, considering that YYZ is still based on 7z and the user can just unpack the archive and all that. Maybe it's to save self from having to display various "too many things for trial version" dialogues.
Really? That is surprising, I was unaware of that. Good info to know, shows how much I've used GMS2. :p

I suppose manually zipping the folder is the way to go, then.

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
GMS2 does indeed not allow exporting (and importing) YYZ files when on the Trial version. [1]

A

ArcadeVeteran

Cheers! I guess I can't just dump my game folder online for people to see then?

*EDIT*
I just exported it from the menu, as a YYZ export... would this be unusable then on someone else's version?

A

ArcadeVeteran

Thanks. By the way, I'm having a blast with this software, it's really fun! I'm addicted now and already working on the sequel!