• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Escape Key Press event not triggering while holding the up & left arrow keys.

S

Squillem

Hey y'all,

I'm working on implementing some pretty basic features into a game.
I currently have 8-directional top-down movement working based on this tutorial from FriendlyCosmonaut.
I have also implemented a pause function based on this tutorial from Let's Learn This Together.
I've made some changes from each to account for the fact that this game will be multiplayer, but these two tutorials were my jumping off point.

I'm now running into an issue where, if I am having the character walk diagonally up and left by holding the up & left arrow keys, the Key Press event that my pause function is in doesn't run. This issue does not occur in any other direction. I've also noticed that if I pause, then hold up & left, and then try to unpause while doing so, this also does not work.

Anyone have ideas for what could be causing this? Is there some interaction between up, left, and escape that I'm unaware of?