• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS Errors in Xcode when exporting with YYC...

A

Ayziak

So my room speed of my game is 60fps, and unfortunately, when exporting to my iPhone (through a mac and Xcode) whenever there are too many objects, the game dips to ~30fps. I've heard the YoYo Compiler can help fix these kinds of issues, however whenever my game - compiled with YYC - makes it to Xcode, I get the error message "linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)". Anyone else have this? Anyone have a solution? (to this or maybe the initial lag issues)... Either way, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

KriLL

Hey bud,
You can try running the debug commands to show you the cpu/gpu usage as a bar in the top of the screen. https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/001_advanced use/011_debugging.html

You do get a lot more performance using the YYC compiler. I have the studio version myself so I use it all the time. Do you use the physics engine? If so you may have a lot of collisions going on so you could make a collision parent to simplify things a bit. Also make sure that you dont have the "too many manifolds in collision" warning message spamming. I found that a few of those is ok but if something gets stuck and that message starts to get spammed a lot it can affect the performance to such a degree that things will start to go to a crawl.

Also I guess performance would depend on which iPhone you have? My game runs at 60 fps no issues on an iphone 6 using swf images and the physics engine. However it just closes with no error on an iphone 5 at the moment but thats another issue :)

A

Ayziak

Hey bud,
You can try running the debug commands to show you the cpu/gpu usage as a bar in the top of the screen. https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/001_advanced use/011_debugging.html

You do get a lot more performance using the YYC compiler. I have the studio version myself so I use it all the time. Do you use the physics engine? If so you may have a lot of collisions going on so you could make a collision parent to simplify things a bit. Also make sure that you dont have the "too many manifolds in collision" warning message spamming. I found that a few of those is ok but if something gets stuck and that message starts to get spammed a lot it can affect the performance to such a degree that things will start to go to a crawl.

Also I guess performance would depend on which iPhone you have? My game runs at 60 fps no issues on an iphone 6 using swf images and the physics engine. However it just closes with no error on an iphone 5 at the moment but thats another issue :)
Thanks for your response! I'll check out that debug documentation. To answer a few things, I'm using an iPhone 6 as well, and while my game doesn't use the physics engine, it does have a lot of step path finding. (I'd say about 4 objects at any time).

EDIT: So after trying the debug stuff, I can see my game runs min 40fps, max 120ish. Do you know of a way to fix this? (so it's always 60+?)

Last edited by a moderator:
K

KriLL

Thanks for your response! I'll check out that debug documentation. To answer a few things, I'm using an iPhone 6 as well, and while my game doesn't use the physics engine, it does have a lot of step path finding. (I'd say about 4 objects at any time).

EDIT: So after trying the debug stuff, I can see my game runs min 40fps, max 120ish. Do you know of a way to fix this? (so it's always 60+?)
The FPS should be decided by the room steps setting. If it is set to 60 then thats how fast it should be going. More processing means more performance hit.

When you run the game in debug mode the profiler also loads up. You can use this in real time to see what is taking up most of the processing power for your game. http://www.yoyogames.com/blog/44 That link should give you enough info on how to use it.

Can you do any screenshots of when the game starts to run slowly?

A

Ayziak

The FPS should be decided by the room steps setting. If it is set to 60 then thats how fast it should be going. More processing means more performance hit.

When you run the game in debug mode the profiler also loads up. You can use this in real time to see what is taking up most of the processing power for your game. http://www.yoyogames.com/blog/44 That link should give you enough info on how to use it.

Will do!

A

Ayziak

Apologies for not replying sooner, I've just been pretty busy lately. So I tried the profiler debug and found out that more than half of the processing is taken up by my lighting engine. (After further testing, I have conformed this.) I don't really want to remove it, so I'm going to focus on fixing YYC. Still have no idea whats causing the error, so if you have any ideas, let me know.