• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Error - project ruined

I was cleaning up space for my project and I must have deleted something and now both my working copy and my backup copy are ruined.
I'm posting to see if there is any way to recover my project. The error is attached. I'm pretty sure the content should still be there considering
the error it gave me before it crashed. The icons etc.. were still there. Its just the yyp that is kaput. IF there is an y way to recover my
project please let me know.

Attachments

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Restore the last stable version of this file from your source control repository. If you aren't using source control, start using source control so this won't happen again. You may still be able to recover the file via file recovery software, but if neither that nor backups and source control resolve it, you're out of luck.

Joe Ellis

Does gms2 still create backups like gms1.4 did? If so, backups only get created when a build is successful, so you'd be able to recover the last version of the project that was fine

Considering 2.3 is still only in beta, I would have assumed you would have backed-up your project before using that version. However, if it is only your project file that is missing, but all your other resources are still there then you should be able to import those resources into a new project.

B

booksmaster

Once you deleted the needed file you should have pretend to be Barry Alen and unplug your PC with a speed of lightning. Then you take the hdd our and take it to you IT guy who will restore the file. It you kept using you PC after deleting it it most probably gone forever. Sorry. Next time use cloud storages(Google Drive, Dropbox etc.) if you dont want to have hard times with svn or git.

Z

zendraw

will it load the project if you simply delete that room?

pixeltroid

OP, you should be able to import your assets into a fresh project. Of course, you will have to redo the stuff you lost, but try to salvage as much as you can. Good luck!

I gave up and loaded backup. Ergo, can someone help me with the source control on GMS2? I meant through the manual and the source control menu option isn't there.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
In order to use the integrated source control client, you first have to enable source control integration in the game's options. In Studio 2.2, you can find this under Resources -> Options -> Main -> Main Options -> General -> Enable source control.