Error message is calling a sprite a variable

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Ethan Uffelman, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Ethan Uffelman

Ethan Uffelman Member

I'm trying to get my character to jump, but when I press space this happens:

FATAL ERROR in
    action number 1
    of Key Press Event for <Space> Key
    for object objElyssa:

Variable objElyssa.sprElyssa_jumpRight(100005, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
    at gml_Object_objElyssa_KeyPress_32 (line 26) - sprite_index = sprElyssa_jumpRight;
    ############################################################################################
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    stack frame is
    gml_Object_objElyssa_KeyPress_32 (line 26)

Could anyone explain what this means? It's saying Variable ObjElyysa.sprElyssa, but those aren't variables. All I've figured out is that it corresponds with the picture I've uploaded. I know there are a lot of things I'm doing wrong besides what is stated here, but that's really all I care about. I'll try and figure out the rest myself.

Can anyone see the picture? There is a notification telling me that I can't post links until I've posted five things.

Attached Files:

2. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

To clarify, you can't post links without moderator approval. You definitely can post links. :) (You can't edit posts with links, though.)

You are receiving this error message because sprElyssa_jumpRight is not recognized as a sprite (it would otherwise be resolved to that sprite's ID). Therefore, it is assumed that you intend for it to be a generic variable. This doesn't exist as well, hence the error.

Double-check your spelling and clear your asset cache to rule out cache issues.

Bentley likes this.
  3. Ethan Uffelman

Ethan Uffelman Member

I'm pretty sure I spelled everything correctly. Could you tell me how to clear my asset cache? Sorry, I'm very new to coding.

4. TsukaYuriko

It's under Build -> Clean.

If that doesn't do the trick, try commenting out the affected line or assigning a different sprite - does anything still go wrong? If so, the source lies elsewhere altogether.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  5. EvanSki

EvanSki Dedicated link provider

You're trying to call the sprite as a variable in the object
    try objElyssa.sprite_index

6. TsukaYuriko

That's merely the code generated from the D&D. In the screenshot included in the opening post, you can see that it's just sprElyssa_jumpRight.