GameMaker Error message in GM2 (new to GM)

M

magpie

I followed along with a tutorial to create scripts for grid based movements, and have just tried to put place_meeting collisions in my move script. I am getting this error message. I was able to get collisions to work when the movement is not grid based, but this is posing a problem.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:03.5453381s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\szark\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -- Windows Run started at 03/26/2019 18:24:01
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d

What could that be? Do you need my code? Thanks for any help.

Is that everything in your Output window? Please post everything you have from the Output window (and please put it in code tags - see the guidelines if you don't know how to do this), as there is possibly an error further up the output that we need to see.

M

magpie

This is everything in the output window:

"cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\szark\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0428859s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\szark\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 03/26/2019 18:40:37
"cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\szark\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0378967s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\szark\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 03/26/2019 18:40:37
"cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0377896s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326" started at 03/26/2019 18:40:37
Saving project to: C:\Users\szark\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Puzzle game\Puzzle game.yyp
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\szark\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\szark\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Puzzle_gam_9FCEFA20_334871A4\macros.json
Options: X:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\szark\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\szarkamichael_103698\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\szark\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Puzzle_gam_9FCEFA20_334871A4\targetoptions.json
Reading project file....C:\Users\szark\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Puzzle game
Reading project file....X:\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'C:\Users\szark\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Puzzle game\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
finished.

Release build
OptionsIni
Options: Z:/Puzzle_gam_9FCEFA20_334871A4\PlatformOptions.json
[Compile] Run asset compiler
Reading project file....C:\Users\szark\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Puzzle game
Reading project file....X:\BaseProject
Reading config delta 'C:\Users\szark\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Puzzle game\options\main\inherited\options_main.inherited.yy'
finished.
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
finished.
collapsing enums.
Error : gml_Script_move(18) : malformed if statement
Final Compile...finished.
Saving IFF file... Y:/Puzzle_game_5FC9E3FB_VM\Puzzle game.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
option_game_speed=60
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... EMBI
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Texture Group - Default
Writing Chunk... TGIN
Writing Chunk... CODE
Writing Chunk... VARI
Writing Chunk... FUNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
0 Compressing texture... writing texture texture_0.png...
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=928.9348
Stats : GMA : sp=3,au=0,bk=0,pt=0,sc=2,sh=0,fo=0,tl=0,ob=3,ro=1,da=0,ex=0,ma=10,fm=0x200800080020

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:03.5276835s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\szark\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -- Windows Run started at 03/26/2019 18:40:37
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d

rIKmAN

Your output contains the line
Code:
Error : gml_Script_move(18) : malformed if statement
Check your 'if' statements in your move script for syntax errors.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
In particular, DO NOT put semicolons between an if expression and the opening brace like this:
Code:
if (expression);
{
The only thing that can go in between are spaces and/or newlines:
Code:
if (expression)
{
Code:
if (expression) {
I genuinely do not understand why rookies these days have this much trouble with semicolons. This only started happening when video tutorials came into fashion. If you're going to learn from those, turn up the damned resolution and pay more attention to which symbols are which.

M

magpie

The semi-colon was definitely the problem with the error message ( I now have to figure out why my collision check isn't working). You kind of answered your own question FrostyCat... I'm a rookie... I'm new to this, so yes, sometimes I'm going to put a semi-colon in the wrong place. I'm trying to learn without any background in programming, and though you are clearly well beyond that, and well beyond making semi-colon mistakes, I am not. Thanks for your help though.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You kind of answered your own question FrostyCat... I'm a rookie... I'm new to this, so yes, sometimes I'm going to put a semi-colon in the wrong place. I'm trying to learn without any background in programming, and though you are clearly well beyond that, and well beyond making semi-colon mistakes, I am not.
I've been on the GMC for 15 years, and I can tell for sure that putting semicolons between a control statement and its opening brace is a recent fad. Novices from when I was new didn't make that mistake, and I never made that mistake myself. That's why I don't understand why today's rookies have issues with it.