• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Released Erin: The Last Aos Sí

D

DanielFranko

Hey guys, after many, many, many months of coding, animating and fine-tuning I'm happy to show you my game...

Erin: The Last Aos Sí

Feel free to skip the boring description and check out the game at http://www.danielfranko.com/erin.html. It's available on iOS, Google Play, Amazon and Windows Phone.

Do you like behind the scenes stuff? Check out a short "Making of Erin" video that summarizes the whole process from design to release:

Do you enjoy game trailers? Feel free to watch a video I put together:

What is it about?
Erin: The Last Aos Sí [eːs ˈʃiː] is a challenging experience combining tactical based combat with RPG elements. Set in mythical Scotland, the game follows Erin on her quest to defeat Balor, The God of Blight and save the world from ultimate destruction.

Use enemy weaknesses against them to achieve critical hits or capture an enemy and turn it into an ally. Some enemies can use magic to buff other monsters in the area while others can cause hurtful long term effects on you such as bleeding, burning, slowdown, stun and weak. You will have to come up with the best strategy to defeat each unique group of enemies you face on your adventure.

Explore mythical Scotland and find lost treasures and magical items that will aid you on your journey. Use runes to cast elemental spells and identify enemy weaknesses. Enhance the effect of your magic by skilful spell casting.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. In-store reviews will be rewarded with imaginary hugs and endless thanks ;)

Would you like to see what I'm up to next? Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/daniel__franko

N

N8Games

Wow. Thank you for sharing.

I really enjoyed the making of video. Interesting to see you process and experience in creating this game from start to finish.

rIKmAN

I also enjoyed the "Making Of" video, looks like you did everything yourself - pretty impressive!

Congrats on the release, I'll check it out over the weekend! :)

EDIT:
I just noticed on the Google Play page it says:
In-app Products
£1.79 - £17.49 per item
Just curious what IAP you are selling for £17.49?

Last edited:
D

DanielFranko

I also enjoyed the "Making Of" video, looks like you did everything yourself - pretty impressive!

Congrats on the release, I'll check it out over the weekend! :)

EDIT:
I just noticed on the Google Play page it says:

Just curious what IAP you are selling for £17.49?
Hey rIKmAN, great question! I wanted to approach the IAP in a bit different way, so... The first two worlds of the game, which is about 2 hours of gameplay, are for free. If you like the game then you can unlock the rest of it via a one-off "pay what you want" IAP. You can decide how much you want to send to the dev.

I found out that people (and especially reviewers) like this quite a lot. What I did not expect is that some people automatically avoid the game if they see that it contains IAP. An unsolvable conundrum?

M

Martin_CaronStudios

Dobrá práca! Well done! It looks like you've spent quite some time finishing the game. As I've just released my first game (SAM Commander Arena - please look it it up as I can't post any links due to being a new member), I was wondering whether it's worth it releasing a game on Windows Phone and Amazon. Would be thankfull, if you could share your experience.

D

DanielFranko

Dobrá práca! Well done! It looks like you've spent quite some time finishing the game. As I've just released my first game (SAM Commander Arena - please look it it up as I can't post any links due to being a new member), I was wondering whether it's worth it releasing a game on Windows Phone and Amazon. Would be thankfull, if you could share your experience.
Morning Martin. Well my game was released on those platforms like two weeks ago and till now I did not do any promo so it's hard to get any trends from the numbers right now but...

Windows Phone
Downloads on Windows Phone are around 15% of what I get on Android and mostly from Brazil (for some reason).
People on Windows Phone do not review.
I have barely any IAP on Win Phone.
Implementation of IAP on Win Phone is super easy ... same implementation as on Android.

Amazon:
Downloads on Amazon are close to 0.
No reviews.
No IAP
Implementation of IAP on Amazon is hell. At least it was for me. This thread helps a bit but does not change the fact that Amazon IAP in GameMaker is an undocumented mess.
I want to try the Amazon Underground when I have a bit of free time. Maybe that's where all the people are:)

Let me know if you have any questions.

M

Martin_CaronStudios

Morning Martin. Well my game was released on those platforms like two weeks ago and till now I did not do any promo so it's hard to get any trends from the numbers right now but...

Windows Phone
Downloads on Windows Phone are around 15% of what I get on Android and mostly from Brazil (for some reason).
People on Windows Phone do not review.
I have barely any IAP on Win Phone.
Implementation of IAP on Win Phone is super easy ... same implementation as on Android.

Amazon:
Downloads on Amazon are close to 0.
No reviews.
No IAP
Implementation of IAP on Amazon is hell. At least it was for me. This thread helps a bit but does not change the fact that Amazon IAP in GameMaker is an undocumented mess.
I want to try the Amazon Underground when I have a bit of free time. Maybe that's where all the people are:)

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank's for the helpfull info! I'll see how my downloads will develop on iOS and Android. Depending on the numbers, I'll release it on other platforms as well.
Wish you good luck with your game! I'll try it later next week. I'll let you know, should I see any bugs, glitches or room for improvement.

D

DanielFranko

Just a quick info. I've implemented some updates into the game and made it available on Amazon Underground. Now it's finally getting some downloads. It really seems that Amazon users mostly look for games in the Underground section.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DanielFranko

Wow! A game I can play on my windows phone?!

Astonishing art, by the way ^^.
Playable on winphone indeed :) As long as you have at least 750MB of RAM. Windows mobile OS is unpleasantly restricting and allows each app to use only around 25% of available RAM :/

D

DanielFranko

Hey guys, as I'm working on promotion of my game I'm putting together a contact list of all relevant and live websites, magazines, youtube channels and "influencers". I've been working on that for the past 3 weeks and have now over 300 emails, links to submission forms etc.

I plan to finish in the next week or so and if anyone is interested I would put an acceptable price tag (sorry but it's a real pain) on that and share it with you. Let me know if anyone is interested, I would let you know when it's done ... eh... probably here or my twitter (@daniel__franko) :)

D

DanielFranko

A little update for anyone who's interested in placing their game o multiple platforms.

As you probably know, Samsung has their own app store - Samsung Galaxy Apps. Here you can upload your .APK and get your game to more players. Sounds simple enough ... and that is why I've spent a couple of days unsuccessfully trying to submit my game. Today I was finally able to submit the app without any error messages.

Here are the steps:
1) Decide if you want to implement IAP in your game, release it for free or set a price per app.
- If you want to implement IAP - check these extensions Samsung Store Extension, Samsung Store Extension 2.0, Samsung IAP. I may implement these later but for now I wanted to check what reception a "premium app" is going to get. I want to compare this with other platforms (iOS, Google, Amazon, WinPhone).
2) Register as Samsung developer
3) Register as Samsung seller
4) Now the tricky part - unless you implement the above mentioned IAP extensions you'll need to convince the Samsung interface that you are using their SDK (that is actually useless in this case). The way to do this is to add a new line into the android manifest. The problem is that you cannot edit the manifest manually so:
- Create a new extension in your project
- Set it as Android extension and open the Android tab that should appear by now
- Locate the Inject to AndroidManifest.xml section. And the Manifest level sub-section.
- Copy this line into the Manifest level:
<uses-feature android:name="com.sec.feature.spen_usp" android:required="true"/>
- Save and build a new .APK
5) Upload the .APK into the Samsung developer console
6) ... this is going to sound weird ... In the Samsung developer console go to the App information section and Category sub-section. Leave the first item set to the default value and set the second item to Galaxy specials and Other.
7) Submit your app

I hope that someone finds this helpful.

Most of this process originated from this thread.