Legacy GM Equipment System (SOLVED

A

Alexander Olofsson

Alright, I have absolutely no idea on how to do an equipment system without having to draw more than 60 thousand sprites... hence all the combinations of all the different sorts of armor and weapons, and shields in the game..

How would I make an equipment system? I know what Spine is, but I don't really wanna lay down money on that yet. So, is there any way to do this, efficiently? If I can sort this out, it would mean the world to me!

Thanks in advance! :D

mar_cuz

Alright, I have absolutely no idea on how to do an equipment system without having to draw more than 60 thousand sprites... hence all the combinations of all the different sorts of armor and weapons, and shields in the game..

How would I make an equipment system? I know what Spine is, but I don't really wanna lay down money on that yet. So, is there any way to do this, efficiently? If I can sort this out, it would mean the world to me!

Draw the base character sprites. Then draw just the equipment like armor top, Boots and helmet all as their own individual sprites then overlay the given equipment over the base sprite.

CMAllen

It depends on just how much customization you want your sprites to allow. If it's just a couple pieces that never change drawing order in respect to other pieces, you just need to be sure that the parts line up properly (origin points). For example: hair/helmet always draws over the head, over the torso, over the legs. In the draw event, you just draw all those parts in the proper order. Things get trickier when you have pieces that change their depth in respect to other pieces, depending on viewing angle or animation (ex: a sword swipe might play in front of a character swinging one direction, but behind the character in the opposite direction). Then you need to store the drawing order of the various parts, and some control to switch between the different drawing orders.

C

carlosagh

You can make a sprite for each body part but the whole thing might get complicated animating the attacks. If you manage to do it, in order to save yourself from carefuly drawing anything you should keep the animations as simple as possible.