Epic Games

G

Guest User

I want to thank everyone who knows me and helped with the difficulties of gm. I decided to stop my project and upgrade to UE4. Wouldn't I be back to gms. I need to move on.

Amon

If you couldn't code it in GM then get ready for disappointment when you try to code it in UE4.

May the force be with you.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Lots of luck...it is indeed an upgrade going to UE4 when it comes to 3d. But considering the difficulties you had here I seriously doubt you are going to be able to learn UE4 and C++ in any timely manner. If you want to do it though, go for it!

G

Guest User

It's not about programming. I could finish the project in gms. Without a doubt, I have already coded everything that is needed, it was only necessary to duplicate objects and create maps. But I was not satisfied with the graphic and the possibilities. In an unreal engine, everything is simpler and 3D colision. I have already changed the character and made animation,
Learned to work with skeletal animation in Blender, installed light bulbs and played with transparency. Without a doubt, everything looks completely different there and the project is easier to do. Dealing with nodes.
You don't need to know the codes. You can make a game entirely on nodes.
kburkhart84,
Didn't you tell me to switch to an unreal engine and that the programming language would suit me without a doubt? Or is it a Battle rifle.
And so thank you very much for believing in me!

Last edited by a moderator:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
But I was not satisfied with the graphic and the possibilities. In an unreal engine, everything is simpler and 3D colision.
On this we can agree for sure. UE4 is much more suited to 3d projects.

Learned to work with skeletal animation in Blender, installed light bulbs and played with transparency.
Not all of that stuff you do in Blender will be taken to UE4 when you export your model. You will need to create actual textures unless you just make materials in UE4(which also applies to your alpha stuff). And the light bulbs won't go to UE4 meaning you will need to set up the lighting in UE4 as well.

Dealing with nodes.
You don't need to know the codes. You can make a game entirely on nodes.
This is technically true...but I've seen way too many people think like that and the node system end up very convoluted. Code is much more readable than a bunch of nodes. And even so, you still have to take time learning both the UE4 engine, and the nodes coding(Blueprints as they call it). I'm not saying you can't do it of course, I'm just saying it isn't an overnight process by any means.

Didn't you tell me to switch to an unreal engine and that the programming language would suit me without a doubt?
It certainly wasn't me. I may have mentioned UE4 not being bad or something and said it is better for 3d in general, but I don't remember ever thinking it would suit youdirectly as far as the programming language. C++ is hard for many people, and as I mentioned before, blueprints can get really unwieldy really fast.

And so thank you very much for believing in me!
No worries...just remember that it is up to you to make it happen. UE4 can make really high quality stuff, but it certainly has that higher learning curve, typically higher than Unity for most people.