• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Entire project deleted by GMS2. Any ways to open/unpack the .win file of the build? Any other ideas?

Hey guys!

Long story short, today I did exactly the same actions and got exactly the same result as the topicstarter here: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/entire-project-deleted.30015/

So, no project, no backup folder, and no way of data recovery because - thanks, new technologies! - I'm on an SSD with TRIM, so... Yeah, bye-bye, my game files.

What I do have is a build made sometime this morning, i.e., it's fresh enough to be seen it as a possible source of recovery/rebuilding. So, there is this .exe file, a .win file, a couple of font files, and a .ini file. Obviously, I need to dig somewhere in the .win and maybe .exe direction.
So... Any ways of opening/unpacking the .win file?

Or maybe there's some other way of, IDK, recovery from the collapse? I'm not the first to experience this, so maybe there are some ways to do something? Except for the barrel roll, that is :)

Roldy

Any ways of opening/unpacking the .win file?
No. And if there are they wouldn't be discussed on this site.

I'm not the first to experience this,
Of course you are not. That is why backups are a thing. If you have backups then use them, otherwise move on.

Use backup software/services, back up to cloud service, back up to external VCS, etc...

Let this be the last time this happens to you and from now on make backups and secure them.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I've mentioned it in other topics....I have multiple backups, including one that is source control style.

1. Working directory on my main SSD.(not a backup, just the starting spot).
2. Github version control cloud backup
3. Local Google Drive folder on an internal HD(gets nightly backups of the main directory). This serves as a second local backup and is a second cloud backup as Google keeps the cloud version updated.
4. EXTERNAL hard drive nightly backup. This is the same thing that gets sent to the google drive. It is still local, but it is outside of the PC so if something blows up the tower, this one should still be good.

So I have my main working copy...then I have 2 cloud backups(one that is version controlled), plus two separate drive backups, one inside the PC and one outside of it. I feel pretty secure in that I won't ever lose more than a day of work, ever....unless something blows up the whole country in which case I have much bigger problems to worry about than my projects :)

I've mentioned it in other topics....I have multiple backups, including one that is source control style.

1. Working directory on my main SSD.(not a backup, just the starting spot).
2. Github version control cloud backup
3. Local Google Drive folder on an internal HD(gets nightly backups of the main directory). This serves as a second local backup and is a second cloud backup as Google keeps the cloud version updated.
4. EXTERNAL hard drive nightly backup. This is the same thing that gets sent to the google drive. It is still local, but it is outside of the PC so if something blows up the tower, this one should still be good.

So I have my main working copy...then I have 2 cloud backups(one that is version controlled), plus two separate drive backups, one inside the PC and one outside of it. I feel pretty secure in that I won't ever lose more than a day of work, ever....unless something blows up the whole country in which case I have much bigger problems to worry about than my projects :)
Yeah, well, I guess I'll start doing tons of backups too from this day. Too bad it won't help me now :) :(

Slyddar

Yeah, well, I guess I'll start doing tons of backups too from this day. Too bad it won't help me now
There are two types of people in the world, those who have lost data, and those who are going to lose data. Once it happens to you, the feeling is such that you do what you can to not have it happen again.

Amon

There are two types of people in the world, those who have lost data, and those who are going to lose data. Once it happens to you, the feeling is such that you do what you can to not have it happen again.
There's also those that prefer Burger King to McDonalds. Nasty lot they are.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@MjrSpieler Can I suggest that you file a bug and include as much information as possible, as well as prior ui.log files (they should be zipped) so YYG can look into this. While it's VERY rare for this to happen, the fact that it HAS happened is not good, but I doubt YYG can do anything to prevent it if they don't have any reports or information to go on. So file a bug report, include ui.logs, include the project (even if it is empty) explain what you'd done just before opening the project, explain what you did just before closing the project previous to this happening, give them details of your PC, etc etc etc...

Thanks!

Okay, will do!

@MjrSpieler Can I suggest that you file a bug and include as much information as possible, as well as prior ui.log files (they should be zipped) so YYG can look into this. While it's VERY rare for this to happen, the fact that it HAS happened is not good, but I doubt YYG can do anything to prevent it if they don't have any reports or information to go on. So file a bug report, include ui.logs, include the project (even if it is empty) explain what you'd done just before opening the project, explain what you did just before closing the project previous to this happening, give them details of your PC, etc etc etc...

Thanks!