• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Enter The Gungeon Level Creation System

N

NthingSinistr

Im making a game where I want the dungeons to be procedurally generated like Enter the Gungeon, but with destructible walls. I'm not really sure about how to go about this as I'm fairly new to Game Maker Studio, so if you could provide me with as much help as possible, that'd be fantastic. Thanks!

N

nujumkey

Despite the stereotype, procedurally generated systems can be impossibly hard to design enjoyable formats for. Honestly I tried multiple times to create a procedurally generated system to no avail, and i have some decent experience in the software. Making random content still be fun can be surprisingly difficult, and making that content last requires a lot of testing and very specific formulas. Would recommend hand crafting a few small levels that are really good before going out to try procedurally generated content.

If you'd like to keep going anyways, the main thing to understand is that your game needs structure around the randomness. If you want to try developing in a "module" approach, my advice would be to create a "room generator" object with no sprite. This object will draw sprites, set walls, and summon objects to the tune of preset variables. Pre-set in the create event the generated room sized, how many rooms are allowed to spawn, how many enemies per room, and any other system your game needs (start small obviously). Then generate all of your rooms (still in the create event), making sure the rooms don't intersect

N

NthingSinistr

So I guess I want to use Binary Space Partitioning. Now my problem is how I'm going to have destructible walls that don't bog down my game too hard.

Phil Strahl

So I guess I want to use Binary Space Partitioning. Now my problem is how I'm going to have destructible walls that don't bog down my game too hard.
A quick idea: Have your walls as tiles or other background objects, and only when there's a collision with an explosion, grenade, etc., then create an instance of a full wall-object on top, or hide the tile?

S

seanm

Well ETG is clearly using a system that loads rooms randomly into the scene and then connects them with hallways. This is a very inorganic style of generation, which is fine because ETG takes place in a dungeon, which is man made.

Nuclear throne has a much more organic generation system. The drunkards walk. Less predictable and has more complex room structures. This is fine because the game is going for this kind of post-apocalyptic hodgepodge. So even the buildings aren't very structured.

Just look up a bunch of stuff about procedural generation. There's not much we can do