• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

English to Chinese translation

Warspite2

Ran into a problem while doing a language translation maybe someone can clarify. I done all my translations from English to Chinese. Here is what is happening...

If I translated this sentence... The birds are singing
To this in Chinese...Niǎo er zài gēchàng

It will show fine in my draw_text. When game is run however, anything with the symbols above the letters are not shown and instead spaces are used. Example it will show the above as Ni o er z I g ch ng when in game.

Anyway I can correct this other then removing the symbols? Some letters are a bit strange such as Zhīchí. That third letter I don't know what it is and in draw_text when its pasted in looks a bit like a 1 or an I. So I am thinking in Chinese it will require those symbols?

Maybe someone who speaks Chinese can better shed some light on this?

chamaeleon

Your selected font resource for the game (in contrast to whatever displays the characters inside GM:S) probably does not include those characters. You'll need to decide on a font that serves your purpose across languages, or select different fonts depending on which language you wish you display text for.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Create a font containing the standard ASCII range plus all permutations of accented letters (as listed here), then set that before drawing text. Not every font has all of the glyphs, so check on Character Map before doing it. Don't be a default font moron.

Also, this is not really Chinese writing, this is just Pinyin. No serious app made for native speakers ever presents its text this way (I can attest to that as one myself), get someone with real experience to advise you on localization. Don't be a Google Translate moron.

Warspite2

Thanks for the clarification. I decided I am going to use some Chinese fonts. I have never messed around much with any of this stuff at all. Another problem I am having now is none of the Chinese fonts are shown with Chinese letters but I believe this is from my default English language setting on my comp? I am hoping if I draw all of my text and don't use graphically embedded text on menus, gui buttons etc that if a comp is running in Chinese then windows will automatically display it in Chinese as it does on websites etc.