GameMaker Embarrassingly newbish question: how to import sub-images?

Selek

Embarrassingly basic question here. Using Photoshop, I've made a series of 4 sprites I'd like to use as sub-images for a single sprite. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to import these using the sprite editor. I've added them as sprites to my resource tree, but when I create a new sprite, then click + to add a frame, it will only let me draw on the new frame -- I can't figure out how simply to make a second frame out of a pre-made image.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can import all the sub-images at once when you go to load the initial image. Simply use CTRL or SHIFT to select all of them in file dialogue and they'¡ll all be loaded. If you wish to add sub.image later on, then you need to do it through the Image Editor, using the "Image" menu at the top, and selecting "Import Image(s)".

PS: Handy tip! When I create sprites in photoshop, I create them as STRIP images, all in one line. Then I save them with a _stripXX suffix (for example: spr_Player_Running_strip8.png), where XX is the number of frames. On importing those images into GMS, it will automatically cut it into the correct number of sub-images. :) Oh, and you can also drag the image from a folder onto the GMS IDE and it will create a sprite and split the sub-images from it too.

Selek

Facepalm; I didn't think of ctl or shift -- the standard Windows multi-select keys, lol. Also, that .stripnn tip is awesome! I just made my images into a strip for the heck of it, and it worked a treat. Thanks so much for the help!