Editable Text

L

littlehazel22090

I'm trying to figure out how to create text that the player can edit. I've only found ones for regular coding but I'm using drag and drop.

C

CreatorAtNight

Normally you use a variable to which you keep adding keystrokes. I'm not sure if you could do that by only using drag and drop elements. May I ask why you want to stick to just drag and drop?

L

littlehazel22090

Im new to coding in general and I wanted to stick to drag and drop, since this is my first little project. It's not anything major but I'm trying things out. I do want to learn how to do regular coding though.

C

CreatorAtNight

Ok, yeah I see, always good to start slowly. Giving the player the option to input text is a bit more complex than you would think as GameMaker doesn't have any options for that other than just checking on single keystrokes. I never work with drag and drop, I will have a quick look at what's possible.

EDIT: hm, I don't really see an easy solution for that with drag and drop, maybe I'm just not seeing it but it seems easier with code. You might want to just give the player some options to choose between if that's possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheouAegis

You can do a lot of things with just DnD, but by the time you figure out how to do all them, you may as well just use GML in the Code action. lol

D

dannyjenn

If you want something like a text field, it can be pretty complicated.

If you just want a pop-up window where the player can enter some text, there might be a Drag and Drop which can do that. I'm not sure. There used to be one, called "Show Message", which was the equivalent of show_message(). But they got rid of show_message() for compatibility reasons and replaced it with some new function show_message_async() which I never figured out how to use. I'm not sure whether there's a Drag and Drop for show_message_async() or not, but you could try looking for it.