Easy-to-learn GML Tutorial

G

General Leo

GM Version: GM6 or higher
Target Platform: ALL
Download: HERE (about 300kb, open using any word program including notepad)
Links: original post

Summary:
  • Originally created Aug 2005
  • Staff choice since Feb 2009
  • Thousands of downloads since release
  • 1,613 downloads recorded, just from 12-23-15 through 12-23-16
If you know D&D (Drag and Drop) or at least the basic structure of game making, this tutorial will teach you how to easily advance into scripting your own GML (Game Maker Language) scripts with no previous experience! Hundreds of people have PMed me or emailed me their success stories over the years since it was first released in 2005. My Easy-to-Learn GML Tutorial is the best out there because I teach as if you have no experience which helps ANYBODY understand scripting. I guarantee if you have a basic understanding of game making, you'll learn GML by reading my tutorial! Keep in mind scripting GML can be learned in a matter of minutes but takes years to fully memorize and master.

• Actual Reviews:
sebastian97 -Dec 2015
General Leo, my good man. I owe my entire game development career to you bro. Literally you changed my life with this tutorial many years ago.
icymx -April 2012
This is the tutorial that actually taught me GML 3 years ago!
yourtexthere -Dec 2011

You LITERALLY taught me GML a while ago, but I just came back to say thanks! :D
GPro -Nov 2010
I LOVE YOU! I LOVE YOU!
thx man i finally can write scripts at my will thanks :D!!!
connor4312 -May 2009
I'm not sure, if In posted on this before, but this tutorial is what I began with! Now I am scoring 4 stars on the GML test and a top programmer in a very large team.
cred13 -Feb 2007
i used this to learn gml... it's very good!

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hadin

GM Version: GM6 or higher
Target Platform: ALL
Download: HERE (about 300kb, open using any word program including notepad)
Links: original post

Summary:
  • Originally created Aug 2005
  • Staff choice since Feb 2009
  • Thousands of downloads since release
  • 1,613 downloads recorded, just from 12-23-15 through 12-23-16
If you know D&D (Drag and Drop) or at least the basic structure of game making, this tutorial will teach you how to easily advance into scripting your own GML (Game Maker Language) scripts with no previous experience! Hundreds of people have PMed me or emailed me their success stories over the years since it was first released in 2005. My Easy-to-Learn GML Tutorial is the best out there because I teach as if you have no experience which helps ANYBODY understand scripting. I guarantee if you have a basic understanding of game making, you'll learn GML by reading my tutorial! Keep in mind scripting GML can be learned in a matter of minutes but takes years to fully memorize and master.

• Actual Reviews:
sebastian97 -Dec 2015
icymx -April 2012
yourtexthere -Dec 2011

GPro -Nov 2010
connor4312 -May 2009
cred13 -Feb 2007
This is exactly the kind of guide I need. I have had to ask for plenty of help already after a little over a month into learning GML (my first foray into programming) and I am starting to be met with condescension and irritability as everything's already online so why do I have to waste time asking? The information may be there but an understanding of it is still required to make use of is and there's a lot terminologies I don't understand or don't see the connection for how a while loop could be applied, etc. So thank you. I spend all of my free time reading up on how to make a program work and tinkering with Game Maker. I'm putting in my time and am slowly learning it so if I'm asking for help its not for someone to write me a code to get results, I'm not even trying to make a real game yet, its so I can break down the problem, understand the individual components of it and make a connection as to how it could be applied to something I may wanna make in the future. I have ideas for the type of game I wanna make so am of course trying to get those mechanics set up so I'm advanced enough I can start over and write something more efficient and write it all myself, my own takes on code.

B

Bigheadface

Hi. I'm new to coding. Went through the in-program tutorials but am still pretty lost when I try to make my own simple programs trying to learn things.
Is this tutorial still viable for GMS2?

Last edited by a moderator:
E

E11even-E11even

Hello. I'm also wondering if this is viable with GMS2. And, in general, how much of GML is the same in 2 as it was in 1.