• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Easiest way to use the room editor?

U

Uhfgood

I'm going through the Coding Breakout tutorial, and it was a pain adding all those bricks. Let me explain: I could have just left clicked and added all instances of the bricks one-by-one. I probably should have done it that way. However I was thinking this works like most editors, where you use ctrl-click to select individual instances and then I could essentially click on one of these selected objects and move them around until I could place them where I wanted.

This is far from the way it actually works.

Firstly you need to use shift -- now this isn't a big deal except I'm used to windows file system where shift actually selects a list of items in between a start and end point (you want to copy whole sections of a folder, you use shift and click on first and last item, but you use ctrl to select individual items not in sequential order). So my first mistake it assuming it works like most programs.

Secondly you can't click on the selected items and move them and position them the way you want. The way most programs work you left-click on the selection and are able to move it around to your hearts content and when you want to place it you left click again and it "moves" the selected items.

Thirdly, you can't copy and paste in an easy way. The way paint programs do it (especially those with layers) you can drag a selection rectangle and then they're highlighted then you can right click on the selection pull up a menu to either cut or copy, and then you move your mouse elsewhere and can right click and select paste or use the paste key (on pc's it's usually ctrl-v) and it will put it on the screen under your cursor. Then you can put it down on the page by left clicking. I think for programs like GIMP the term is anchoring. But in the room editor what happens is, I select items, I hit ctrl-v and then I don't see any result, not realizing that it's pasted there and have to move it out of the way.

Now, I guess this wasn't so much of a question as a rant, although, not that I'm blaming anyone, I just got frustrated trying to copy and paste and move items around in the room editor. So really a better question is there a proper or easier way to move many different instances around at once?

Also could someone pass on this message to the people who work on GM:S's room editor?

Not trying to be a pain, but for a program that does as much as this does, it would be nice if the editors were as easy as other programs I've used (such as Tiled or Gimp or whatever). I would like to note I really like what I've used so far, but a few user experience issues hold it back from being the best.

If I'm out of line, let me know.