Alpha EarthBound Remake

U

Ultimate Kumatora

Is this still being made because I would PK Love to play it!

Jase217

Why not make a spiritual remake of sorts with your own assets and characters, with the same mechanics and even following a similar story? That way you can claim it as yours, get paid for your hard work and no one can tell you to take it down. It’d be a shame to throw away all your work because of a single email from Nintendo.

Last edited:
Why not make a spiritual remake of sorts with your own assets and characters, with the same mechanics and even following a similar story?

That way you can claim it as yours, get paid for your hard work and no one can tell you to take it down.

It’d be a shame to throw away all your work because of a single email from Nintendo.
When people see "RPG inspired by EarthBound," they'll think "oh boy, another one of these" because everybody and their brother is doing that these days. Unless you do something drastic to distinguish yourself, your game will become yet another to throw in the pile. Undertale has a unique battle system and pacifistic themes. LISA has dark and mature themes. Yume Nikki doesn't even have combat. If you can't describe your game without "it's EarthBound but [X]," your game isn't going to interest the mass audience. Coming up with a game 100% from scratch is orders of magnitude harder than working off pre-existing material.

On the other hand, when people see "EarthBound remake in the style of Mother 3" they go crazy. Marketing is notoriously difficult for solo indie devs, and working on an existing popular IP (even if illegitimately) provides that in spades for no extra effort. If Nintendo takes down your game, that's even BETTER for you because it means every single gaming news site and every single social media site will be talking about it. Even more free advertising for your Twitter/YouTube/etc. to make it significantly easier to market your future projects to your new followers/subscribers. It's definitely not a black-and-white issue. I definitely think the endgame should be working on an IP created by you or your team, but fangames and remakes like this one have an important place in indie developer culture -- especially in inspiring newer devs to learn the basics.

When people see "RPG inspired by EarthBound," they'll think "oh boy, another one of these" because everybody and their brother is doing that these days. Unless you do something drastic to distinguish yourself, your game will become yet another to throw in the pile. Undertale has a unique battle system and pacifistic themes. LISA has dark and mature themes. Yume Nikki doesn't even have combat. If you can't describe your game without "it's EarthBound but [X]," your game isn't going to interest the mass audience. Coming up with a game 100% from scratch is orders of magnitude harder than working off pre-existing material.

On the other hand, when people see "EarthBound remake in the style of Mother 3" they go crazy. Marketing is notoriously difficult for solo indie devs, and working on an existing popular IP (even if illegitimately) provides that in spades for no extra effort. If Nintendo takes down your game, that's even BETTER for you because it means every single gaming news site and every single social media site will be talking about it. Even more free advertising for your Twitter/YouTube/etc. to make it significantly easier to market your future projects to your new followers/subscribers. It's definitely not a black-and-white issue. I definitely think the endgame should be working on an IP created by you or your team, but fangames and remakes like this one have an important place in indie developer culture -- especially in inspiring newer devs to learn the basics.
If you ever want to be successful, I suggest actually making your own game. Creating remakes isn't going to train you on how to make successful games. It is only going to train you on how to copy/paste from another game as well as not allow you to improve upon your own art/music/sound/animation/GUI/dialogue/story/character design/gameplay/etc skills which is huge if you ever want to be a game developer.

Your game will blow up by itself on youtube if it is actually worth playing.

Somebody tell that to the makers of Madden and Call of Duty...:rolleyes:
I meant that if somebody was creating a remake of something that isn't their own game, lol. Sorry for the confusion.

But if you own call of duty and you keep making sequels on it and you are making money, why not keep milking it? lol. It only makes sense.

If you ever want to be successful, I suggest actually making your own game. Creating remakes isn't going to train you on how to make successful games. It is only going to train you on how to copy/paste from another game as well as not allow you to improve upon your own art/music/sound/animation/GUI/dialogue/story/character design/gameplay/etc skills which is huge if you ever want to be a game developer.

Your game will blow up by itself on youtube if it is actually worth playing.
This is like telling an artist never to do master studies of Da Vinci or a musician to never practice Mozart. Of COURSE copying a great game will teach you things! To copy something, you need to understand how it works!

If anything, MORE developers should be copying masterpiece games when they first start out. So many games out there with boring mechanics, unsatisfying physics, and 💩💩💩💩ty game feel. If more developers tried copying Mario to start out, 90% of platformers wouldn't feel like garbage to play, lol

I do agree that copying a game for publicity is pointless, though. If you make a great game, it almost definitely will get played, yes.

If you ever want to be successful, I suggest actually making your own game. Creating remakes isn't going to train you on how to make successful games.
Every game development course I've seen includes sections where you remake classic games. Every single one. New game developers will learn plenty about programming and how to implement game mechanics by cloning games like Pong, Breakout, Pac-Man, and Super Mario Bros.

I would love to go more into this, but we are in a topic on @MultiVolt's project, not a general discussion topic. Please make a topic in the Game Design, Development, and Publishing forum if you want to continue the discussion.

Making a copy of a game is great for learning how to program and getting to know the game engine, which MultiVolt is doing and is totally okay. But once you are more comfortable with programming/the engine, then you shouldn't copy/paste games anymore is what I was trying to say. But yeah, creating remakes of games that you don't own won't train you on how to make a living off of games.

That's all I was trying to point out, since I am very successful with my own games. ;)

Y

Your.Homie

I love EarthBound and this is a really cool project. I can't wait to see where it goes. I just hope Nintendo doesn't find it, because I'll be honest, I think this project will become huge.

S

Squirtle Plays

Is this still going? I saw it in the mother direct but the videos you posted are unavailable.

O.Stogden

Is this still going? I saw it in the mother direct but the videos you posted are unavailable.
That's unlikely, as the creator isn't registered on the forums anymore, and hasn't been around for 18 months. The fact that they've deleted their videos is probably further evidence they've cancelled it.

L

LastLaugh

Sorry this is late but maybe I could help! I was trying to make an earthbound inspired game.

D

davebertaud

Art definitely reminds me of Mother 3. It looks very promising. I hope you manage to finish it.

cidwel

Having a mother 3 engine to recreate mother 2 is actually awesome. Mother 3 feels to me like the ultimate mother version in terms of features. Could be a really interesting project

Nintendo's already likely to shut this down if it gets too much attention. Opening a Kickstarter is like *asking* to have Nintendo stomp the life out of it and maybe sue.
even yoyo will do it, My wip engine of SoM thread was removed by the staff. Sadly I can only accept their decision. Nintendo could anytime ask them to remove copyrighted content

OP, take care, copy the thread to preserve it
The good part is that could be easy to modify the resources and remake them similar to avoid deletion