Beta Eart - The game where no one can cheat

D

DanGames

-Concept-
The development of this game is born with a simple but difficult concept to put in practice: preventing players from cheating. You can try it if you want, but I will not recommend it: Eart is a game where you can not go back ...

-Storyline-
A guy wakes up in a scary forest without remembering who he is and where he is. At first everything seems quiet, but soon he realizes that it is not alone...

Screen9.jpg

GAME FEATURES​
-Freedom to explore!
-Diary that recounts events
-Random encounters like an rpg
-Skill-based combat system
-So many secrets to be discovered...

Screen4.jpg

Screen5.jpg

Screen12.jpg

Download the beta: https://gamejolt.com/games/eart/259207

Follow me on twitter to stay updated: https://twitter.com/DanGamesOff

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Raining_Indoors

Wow, I wonder why nobody has commented on this yet.

This definitely looks quite original. The premise is intriguing and unconventional for an RPG.

I like the art style as well, however the one thing I'd fix, judging from screenshots alone, is the screenshot from within what looks like an airplane. The floors and walls are just monochromatic slabs of gray which is a little hard on the eyes, and lacks the wow factor of the other screenshots.

If I may ask, how big are you planning to make the world in this game?

D

DanGames

Thank you for your feedback. Anyway, you will notice that in the beta the world is completely different from what you see in the demo ... and I can't spoil more.
If you haven't downloaded the demo, just click this link: http://bit.ly/2nLuhDH.
Otherwise, stay tuned for beta which will be released soon.

- There's an odd feeling to having to alternate between two different keys just to advance the dialogue at a quick pace. I'd say to just keep the instant display of dialogue still on Z.
- I think the walking animation should begin roughly around the time the character starts moving. Making minor adjustments just causes the character to ski around the place, and given the look on his face, it's quite hilarious.
- When getting to the thick of the woods where the first bit of combat takes place, it's kind of weird to start the area whilst hidden behind a thick tree trunk. At first I thought it was a cut-scene until I attempted moving.
- The combat system needs a proper introduction, or at least needs to give the player some time to figure out what is going on. I immediately died, and thought that maybe it was supposed to be intentional and that the flower would have some advice or a tutorial for me, or that something would happen for the next encounter. It turns out that wasn't the case when I tried it again, pressed the down arrow key as I thought that maybe it was a timing thing due to the display of arrows, and died again. It put me off, and I exited the game soon after.
- When quitting, I got an error about a sprite assignment (I think; I don't remember). It looks like it has to do with the display of the title of the game as it was just blank after ignoring the error.

D

DanGames

Thanks for the feedback, I will listen to all your suggestions! Can you tell me exactlywhen you appeared the error? However the fighting is difficult but not impossible, the tutorial is missing because the game aims to be as realistic as possible.

S

ShiEksdee

Thanks for the feedback, I will listen to all your suggestions! Can you tell me exactlywhen you appeared the error? However the fighting is difficult but not impossible, the tutorial is missing because the game aims to be as realistic as possible.
If the game won't have a tutorial, you should at least include it in a manual or something so people can reference it if need be.

D

DanGames

Obviously, I will release the beta with a manual/tutorial

Thanks for the feedback, I will listen to all your suggestions! Can you tell me exactlywhen you appeared the error? However the fighting is difficult but not impossible.
The error came when quitting the game from the in-game menu. I am not sure how to replicate it as I had just loaded the game up again and quitting worked just fine, but it does look to be in relation to the "Earl" title sprite as the error came up when trying to display it. Hitting Ignore, the game just displayed a blank screen where the title should have been. I had quit just after dying the second time and reloading at the flower.
the tutorial is missing because the game aims to be as realistic as possible.
It doesn't have to be an immersion-breaking text box, or a character that talks you through it in boring detail, but you need something that eases the player into the system so that they know how to actually play the game. I literally had no idea that you could move around the battlefield (at least from the two seconds the battle lasts without doing anything). The damaging arrows look like on-screen instructions, as if I had to time my key presses in order to either dodge damage or initiate an attack. Being thrown into an unconventional battling system that tells you absolutely nothing about what you need to do is not good design. If you want it to be "realistic" then the game needs to speak for itself, otherwise you need some way to teach the player about what's going on.

An example to that first battle could be something like this - the arrows start from further away, move slower, and are not an instant death upon collision. This way, the player can attempt pressing buttons to see what's going on. By pressing the arrow keys, they can see that they are able to move about to dodge attacks. With the arrows attacking the player not instantly killing them but just inflicting some damage, the player can see that those need to be dodged. Try and find something that helps the player without breaking immersion or ruining the impact of what you want the first battle to accomplish.

D

DanGames

It is really strange, many people have played the game and have not had any problem with the gameplay. Anyway, I'll try to listen to your advice and add some sort of "advice" to do better understand the combat system.
Thanks again, and I'll try to fix this bug you are referring.

D

DanGames

Update Beta 0.2.0:
-The game is now divided into acts
-Fixed a small bug
-Some small additions before the final
-Now the sword must be recharged before it can hit
-Balanced some pattern of attacks
-Slightly changed a couple of sprites
-Slightly changed a soundtrack

Download here: https://gamejolt.com/games/eart/259207