Asset - Demo Dynamic Top Down Tile depth Demo(depth = -y for tiles)

R

RealityShifter

Hi I was frustrated that I couldn't easily show tiles above or below my player object easily so I made a script that sets tile depth dynamically.
Basically the script sets each tile on a layer's depth to = -y

We needed this feature to save time on Butt Sniffin Pugs development but I decided to package it up for everyone via the marketplace for free.
If you need something more specific or can think of features to add lets discuss them here.

Download from marketplace:
https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/5708/dynamic-tile-depth-demo

Everything but the naked people are tiles which I drew in the editor on a single layer then used the script on.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LlamaTemplar

Hello !
Hopefully you're still active, I have an issue :p

I'm having a problem with your add-on where it hides a big portion of the layer I assign the script too. My character also disappears if I walk to the area. The tiles aren't being drawn under anything, they are disappearing(not deleting).

http://imgur.com/a/5Twg0

I hope you can see the pictures

H

HW.

[SOLVED with a trick]

Your asset file is in .yymp

How do you import or open .yymp file on GMS2?

I can't open/import project/even "import extension" of your asset.

Edit:
It seems current version of GMS2 has a bug for importing/opening .yymp file.

However with a trick i found from the other thread on this forum (search forum). I can open it by doing this:

Just ----> Drag and Drop .yymp asset file from Windows Explorer to GMS2 start page. GMS2 then will recognize it as a marketplace asset to be imported to a new project.

Using the regular procedure: open/import/import extension currently can't.

Hope it is useful for anyone wants to import .yymp on GMS2 now.

======
Regarding your asset, It works well using your method to do depth - y trick on GMS2 with tiles. Easy to implement too.Thank you RealityShifter.

A

Ali-TP

Hello !
Hopefully you're still active, I have an issue :p

I'm having a problem with your add-on where it hides a big portion of the layer I assign the script too. My character also disappears if I walk to the area. The tiles aren't being drawn under anything, they are disappearing(not deleting).

http://imgur.com/a/5Twg0

I hope you can see the pictures
I had the same problem before I realised I needed to set my floor tiles layer depth to something higher (further away) than the room height. e.g. 1000000

S

Stephane Guenette

Thank you SO SO much... I had spent a bunch of time on making autotiles and animated tiles etc... and when i went to find stuff on depth for the new tile system there was mostly nothing :( till THIS! ty so much!.. sometimes have to use elevation and made a de-elevation object to fix it when it's finiky but way better than the having to use a lot of objects which was the other "choice"

R

RealityShifter

Glad so many people are finding it useful. Leave a review if you have a free moment. Thanks!

A

Ali-TP

Is there a way to call the tilemap created by the script? Say if I want to change the tile set or destroy it, what would the layers be named? I hoped my attempt of using
Code:
var
grid_y = 128,
i = 0,
td1 = layer_get_depth("tiledepth_layer[" + string(i) + "]"),
;
repeat(room_height/grid_y) {
... blah blah blah code using td1
i += grid_y;
}
would work.
Here's some prototype knee-high grass I made for the zombie to walk through using 4 tile layers offset by 32px further each. My game involves changing the palette of everything when viewing the spirit world (using the extension Retro Palette Swapper) so I need to be able to change the tiles.

knee high grass.png